Mattawoman catfish 4/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman catfish 4/23

While the snakehead were short striking and the largemouth were missing in action, the energetic catfish more than saved the trip. All were snagged on swimbaits. In the video you'll notice a shot where a catfish had just been landed and the swimbait was tossed over the side. Ten seconds later I picked up the rod only to discover a larger catfish had attached itself to the dangling swimbait. Feel quite fortunate he didn't swim away with a nice Shimano Ci4+ and Omen Black rod.

Fresh catfish filets have been soaking in buttermilk, mustard, and hot sauce. Tonight they'll hit the wood pellet grill for a low-n-slow smoke.

https://vimeo.com/davevids/catfish

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    Last edited by dinscore; 04-25-2017, 01:11 PM.
    ========================
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    Hobie Outback
    Hobie Mirage i11s
    Check out all my vids at www.yakvids.com
    Follow on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...eAiuK2n9i5RFNg
    Follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yakvids/

Headed out in the morning to Slavins...got me a dozen jumbo bull minnows, 15 manos, and a frozen package of mud shad I put up a month ago- I figure to launch around 9:45 and fish until 2...lots of catfish need to be filleted to fill my freezer...so I won't be too picky- folks ask me why don't I fish the mainstream Potomac for the bluecats- I sometimes do, but I feel the catfish that live back up in the creeks are cleaner and have less pollution exposure...and I have my self-imposed 30 inch limit on keepers...the really big ones bend the rods and all, but I don't keep them...and the live bull minnows usually get the snakeheads excited...they are a good eating fish that keeps well in the freezer...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Smoked catfish, haven't tried that yet, sounds good!
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Mattawoman Creek has a Sewage Treatment Plant that dumps into it above the bridge.

Comment

hmmmm.... now I'm not so sure about that smoked catfish tonight :-(
          ========================
          Hobie Pro Angler 14
          Hobie Outback
          Hobie Mirage i11s
          Check out all my vids at www.yakvids.com
          Follow on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...eAiuK2n9i5RFNg
          Follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yakvids/

Comment

almost every waterway in our area has something gross in it.... Just dont think about it, and dont eat fish more then once a week
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

And don't eat really big fish...hence my self-imposed 30 inch maximum size for the table...and bluecatfish are a more active predator catfish that feeds higher in the water column than some of the other species of catfish- like flatheads, channel and bullheads...

Comment

I like the 16-22" cats myself, but thats just me
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Skinless, boneless catfish filets with the dark meat cut off from Blue catfish 30 inches and under all taste about the same- grilled over a charcoal fire in a stainless wire basket with lemon butter and pepper is hard to beat...served with a "fully dressed" baked potato and a small salad- glass of iced tea with lemon...that is one of my all-time favorite early summer meals...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    Skinless, boneless catfish filets with the dark meat cut off from Blue catfish 30 inches and under all taste about the same- grilled over a charcoal fire in a stainless wire basket with lemon butter and pepper is hard to beat...served with a "fully dressed" baked potato and a small salad- glass of iced tea with lemon...that is one of my all-time favorite early summer meals...
                    It's almost five o'clock, and i'm drooling at my keyboard at work. Can't wait for some nice spring/summer weather and outdoor grilling fresh caught fish!
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                      It's almost five o'clock, and i'm drooling at my keyboard at work. Can't wait for some nice spring/summer weather and outdoor grilling fresh caught fish!
                      what he said! I just grilled up some snakehead in the rain last night, it was still delicious
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Looks like you had a good trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm sure Mr Veil knows more about the treatment plant. I did a little more research and while the plant is up the creek above the bridge, I read that it is piped out to discharge into the main Potomac. I don't know if this is correct. From what I read, water quality there is getting worse...something about increased development and less forested areas as a buffer around the creek.

Comment

Originally posted by dinscore View Post
                            Who's that shady looking character in the background?

It was fun watching you battle the cats. When that rod doubled over just sitting on the deck you could have easily panicked and lost everything overboard. You stayed calm and caught that second one like you expected it to happen. Well done.

Comment

They'll be fine......those cats have followed the hickory shad up from the mainstream anyway...that's why they were hitting the swimbaits. No more dangerous to eat than 35" rockfish

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                              X