At least they are catching a few poachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least they are catching a few poachers

Continued enforcement at Fishing Creek Bridge in Dorchester County and the Bill Burton Fishing Pier State Park in Talbot County this week resulted in 24 people receiving citations and 213 striped bass being seized.
    On Sunday just after midnight, officers seized 83 striped bass from a vehicle leaving Fishing Creek Bridge and charged four men.

Julio Mauricio Baquedano Moran, 22, of Greensboro, North Carolina; Luis Galeano Baquedano, 18, of Silver Spring; Samuel Nolasco Pacheco, 33, of Lanham; and Javier Reyes, 33, of Mount Ranier, were each charged with possessing undersized striped bass, possessing striped bass in a prohibited area, a possessing fish over the limit and possessing striped bass outside the legal time. Each charge carries a maximum fine of $1,500.
    At about the same time, another vehicle was stopped leaving the bridge with 12 striped bass inside and the three occupants were charged with three fishing violations each: Ivan Alexis Interiano Gladamez, 21, of Germantown and Natividad Interiano Gladamez, 44 and Hermilo Sanchez Bentra, 24, both of Gaithersburg.

On Monday at about 3:30 a.m., officers stopped a vehicle leaving the bridge and found numerous fish in a cooler. The driver was instructed to pull off at a safer area so that citations could be written. As the vehicle drove to the area, someone began throwing fish from the passenger-side window.

Manuel Barahona Cruz, 33, of Temple Hill and Angie Campos Avila, 31, of Alexandria, Virginia, were each charged with possessing undersized striped bass, possessing striped bass in a prohibited area, a possessing fish over the limit. Cruz also was charged with possessing striped bass outside the legal hours.

Twenty-three striped bass were seized from a second vehicle containing Moises DeJesus Majano Canales, 36 and Maria Yohana Barahona Cruz, 34, both of Oxon Hill. Canales received four citations for illegal fishing and Cruz received three.
    About the same time, officers charged five men and seized 62 striped bass as they left the bridge. Daniel Escobar Alvarado, 33, Ana Cuellar Jimenez, 42, Genesis Ivania Cuellar, 22 and Jose Roberto Medrano, 20 and John Bradak Medrano Canales, 27, of Temple Hill, each received four citations.

On Saturday night just before midnight, officers stopped a vehicle with five Silver Spring passengers and found 26 striped bass inside. Hector Samuel Martenez Carpio, 37, Esvin Leonel Najera Bueco, 22, Edinson Leonel Bueco Luch, 22, Ferdy Misael Bueco Luch, 24 and Raul Antonio Bueco Berganza, 28, each received three citations for illegal fishing.

All 21 defendants are scheduled to appear in Dorchester County District Court July 19. The maximum fine for each charge is $1,500.

Also late Sunday night, officers charged two men for fishing on suspended recreational licenses. Lenin Gonzalez Fuentes, 35 and Edgar Fuentes DeMata, both of Washington, D.C., must appear in Dorchester County District Court June 28. The maximum fine is $1,000.

At the Bill Burton Fishing Pier State Park at 2 a.m. Saturday, officers issued citations to Fernando Geov Vasquez Bautista, 38, of Hyattsville, for having six undersized striped bass, catching striped bass in a designated spawning river and possessing striped bass outside legal hours.

Bautista must appear in Talbot County District Court June 19. The maximum fine for each violation is $1,500.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

my favorite part...

#stupidcriminals

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
    The driver was instructed to pull off at a safer area so that citations could be written. As the vehicle drove to the area, someone began throwing fish from the passenger-side window.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

As much as I demand justice, I also want to know what lures these guys are using.
      I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      Garmin Echomap 93sv
      RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Me too!!
        2016 Hobie Outback Limited #220
        2016 Jackson Cuda 12
        2015 Emotion 11 Stealth Angler

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
          As much as I demand justice, I also want to know what lures these guys are using.
          that is hilarious! Yeah, that's lots of fish, I wonder what bait or lure they are using?
          2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Good job to the DEC . They could find many violations on most of the Dorchester bridges .

Comment

Great news! I say charge em all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Zack
              Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
              "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I think the punishments for the repeat offenders, or the guys that clearly know they're in the wrong (ditching fish out the window), should be 10x as severe. The fines are clearly not keeping them from repeatedly abusing the natural resources, I wonder if they just get out of them anyway during the court cases. I would like to sit in on those cases, or better yet, be part of that jury if they even have one.

Comment

Without getting into a race war or politics, did anyone notice a trend here regarding immigrants and fishing violations. I don't know if it's cultural, ignorance of the law, or lack of access to fishing licenses, but the immigrant population seems to get caught in these kinds of busts far more than others. I think most of these fish are sold at local markets, but some no doubt are consumed at their own tables.
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I think a lot of it comes down to just not seeing the big picture, or the value of the fish they're catching. They see a meal and that's it. Its the same story as the crab and oyster poachers. Always just the typical white trash guys who know they can get away with it 80% of the time. It's one of the reasons I'm batting around the idea of becoming an NRP officer, I would at least like to discuss it with them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

All 21 defendants are scheduled to appear in Dorchester County District Court July 19. The maximum fine for each charge is $1,500.

The maximum fine is $1,000.

The maximum fine for each violation is $1,500.
                      Just curious, why do deer poachers lose their hunting privileges but when it comes to fishing these guys just seem to (potentially) get fined? Shouldn't they lose their fishing privileges as well? Does it have to do with using a weapon vs fishing rod?

Comment

Originally posted by bch89 View Post
                        Just curious, why do deer poachers lose their hunting privileges but when it comes to fishing these guys just seem to (potentially) get fined? Shouldn't they lose their fishing privileges as well? Does it have to do with using a weapon vs fishing rod?
                        I'm pretty sure they will lose their licence, if they even had one, but regardless I doubt that would be a deterrent from them continuing to break the law. In my opinion the fines are suitable to the crime, but only if they actually collect on it. I wonder how many of these fines go unpaid.
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I doubt any of these guys were just fishing for food. Sure they may have kept some, but with 83 fish in one vehicle, I would imagine most of them are being sold somewhere. I also believe the fines should be higher. Depending on how much they are being sold for, a $1,500 fine may just be the cost of doing business for them.
                          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                            I doubt any of these guys were just fishing for food. Sure they may have kept some, but with 83 fish in one vehicle, I would imagine most of them are being sold somewhere. I also believe the fines should be higher. Depending on how much they are being sold for, a $1,500 fine may just be the cost of doing business for them.
                            That's true. I really would like to know what restaurants are out there buying 83 rockfish, probably between 12-18 inches. I'm guessing not the nicest ones, but who knows. In my mind it's the ones that have the signs saying "lake trout" out front, although typically they mean white perch. At those smaller sizes though, I would imagine rockfish and perch taste very similar, and the customer would never know the difference.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they will lose their licence, if they even had one, but regardless I doubt that would be a deterrent from them continuing to break the law. In my opinion the fines are suitable to the crime, but only if they actually collect on it. I wonder how many of these fines go unpaid.
                              Oh I'm not saying it would be a deterrent (sadly, it wont). It just seems like every time a fishing article is released they mention fines and the hunting ones always mention revocation of the license for at least 5 years and fines. Nice to hear they lose their license as well.

I'd also be interested in finding out how many go unpaid.

Comment

Working...
                              X