At least they are catching a few poachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
    I really would like to know what restaurants are out there buying 83 rockfish, probably between 12-18 inches. I'm guessing not the nicest ones, but who knows.
    Agreed. I guess they could be selling them to the community, but I think sales to shady restaurants are more likely the case.
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Out west they often sieze for auction all of the equipment used in the poaching. Plane, rifle, truck you name it. That would raise the cost of doing business.
      PigPen - Mt Airy
      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
        Out west they often sieze for auction all of the equipment used in the poaching. Plane, rifle, truck you name it. That would raise the cost of doing business.
        You are correct, generally the fines out West are more severe, but I think part of that is limited resources. In general there are way more deer, turkey, fish and other wildlife here in the East. If somebody is keeping 25 trout or 2-3 elk that has a much bigger impact than these guys keeping stripers, not that it makes it ok. Personally I'd have no problem with them taking these guys trucks/boats who are repeat offenders. Obviously they aren't getting the message.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
          ...shady restaurants are more likely the case.
          Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
          That's true. I really would like to know what restaurants are out there buying 83 rockfish
          i'm thinking the food trucks, mobile kitchens! gotta have fish for the fish tacos!

Originally posted by bch89 View Post
          Just curious, why do deer poachers lose their hunting privileges but when it comes to fishing these guys just seem to (potentially) get fined? Shouldn't they lose their fishing privileges as well? Does it have to do with using a weapon vs fishing rod?
          you're assuming they even have a license to begin with... cant take something away that they dont even have!
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
            Not only out West. PA does this and will take your gun, car, boat etc. US Dept of Fish and Wildlife also does it at the Federal level. I have seen the rifles and boats confiscated first hand and only wish that Maryland did the same thing.
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
              you're assuming they even have a license to begin with... cant take something away that they dont even have!
              Absolutely agree. Maybe it was a dumb question.

Comment

Working...
              X