Mud Minnows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mud Minnows

This time of year one of my favorite live baits is mud minnow or chubs...easy to catch, hardy and everything that swims eat them...a wire minnow trap with a strip of bacon is the easiest way to catch a bucketful of mud minnows- I sort them so I turn the small ones loose and only keep the jumbos...some refer to them as "striper candy" but in my experience blue catfish find them irresistible- snakheads, bass and slab crappie can't pass them up as white perch, redfish and speckled trout go for them as well...most any predator eats mud minnows- if there are flounder in the area this is the live bait to have....
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-24-2017, 09:36 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

i've never heard of bacon used as bait, have to try that once the weather improves. and if you have any leftover after setting the trap, LUNCH!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

WASTE PERFECTLY GOOD BACON ON MINNOWS!!!??? Blasphemy man! Where do you get those wire traps anyway?
      Gregory
      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
      2014 Pro Angler 12
      '

Comment

Wally World, Dick's, Anglers...most any tackle shop has the wire 2 pc minnow traps...a fish head will work as will a crushed crab or a hot dog- bacon is easy to pop in and it catches the most...but when they are thick they will get in the trap when there is not bait at all in there...and I usually put the trap in the edge of grass in a foot or so of water...

Comment

you might have me coming in there for the bacon!
          Native Watercraft Pro Staff
          2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
          33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
          2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Thanks Ron... might be able to spare half a piece of bacon. (Wonder if I can still fry what the minnows don't get?)
            Gregory
            ​Ain't Misbehavin'
            2014 Pro Angler 12
            '

Comment

Ron, those minnows are awesome for bait and very hardy! I have seen them kept alive in wet paper in a cooler (no water) for days. How do you like to fish them?
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

If I am flounder fishing I use an line sinker to a swivel and three feet of mono to a long shank hook- I hook the chub thru both eyes and put the rod in the rod holder and drift with the current- when the rod gets a solid bend I will pick it up and reel in the flounder/fish...If I am using them as Candy for stripers I live line them exactly like I use spot...when anchored blue cat fishing I drop them to the bottom and then reel up a turn or two so they are under the kayak just off the bottom-and bass fishing I use them on a slip cork and a split shot an inch or so above the hook
                Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-24-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks Ron! I use them on the captain's rig style rigs with a squid strip for flounder although most the time these days I just use gulp on a bucktail. I have fished them on a slip cork for trout but never really tried them for much else. They are like baby piranha and will clean out a fish carcass in no time!
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

The ole "bull minner" as they are referred to by some of the guys I used to work with that were born and raised in southern Dorchester. Some of them also call turtles turkles though.

Riddle me this.... how come whenever I've used minnows, I always seem to catch better on mummichogs than killifish? Is one really better than the other? Or is it just a coincidence?
                    Brian

Comment

A frisky minnow is the one that gets eaten first...a lethargic, weak minnow seems to get eaten by bottom feeders- skates, rays, catfish...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        This time of year one of my favorite live baits is mud minnow or chubs...easy to catch, hardy and everything that swims eat them...a wire minnow trap with a strip of bacon is the easiest way to catch a bucketful of mud minnows- I sort them so I turn the small ones loose and only keep the jumbos...some refer to them as "striper candy" but in my experience blue catfish find them irresistible- snakheads, bass and slab crappie can't pass them up as white perch, redfish and speckled trout go for them as well...most any predator eats mud minnows- if there are flounder in the area this is the live bait to have....
                        BACON! A good cheap hotdog is the way to go

Comment

Originally posted by AmberjackYakin View Post
                          BACON! A good cheap hotdog is the way to go
                          You guys should be ashamed! Feeding bacon or a hotdog to bull minnows! You are going to raise their LDL cholesterol!
                          Bada bing...

Comment

Working...
                          X