Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Mt Sports, Annapolis is closing

Hey folks,

I wanted to let everyone know that EMS Annapolis will be closing sometime in mid June. We recently got purchased by a British company called Sports Direct. They made demands of the current landlords that were tough to meet. As result, 24 stores in our chain will be shuttering their doors... The Up To 30% Off signs went up a week ago and stuff is flying out the door. I have been too busy dealing with everything to post it here.

Kayaks are only 10% off at this point, but will eventually be reduced by the liquidation company. I know we have a Perception Pescador 12 and WS Ride 11.5 Max still in stock, but not much else targeted to the kayak fisherman from a gear perspective. We do still have plenty of paddles, camping gear and great laying pieces for hot and cold weather paddling.

After 19 years of managing the store, I'm wondering if I will have to change my username to exEMSer?

Welcome to the new world order.....
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Bruce, bummed this is happening. Like everything else things are consolidating into a few major players in the outdoors market and they only look at dollars, not community. Sincerely hope you land on your feet after they're closed.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

+1 On that Bruce

Yak67

2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Yea, bummer. I hope it works out for you in the long-run.
        Brian

Comment

I too hope that everything works out for you Bruce. I'm not in a related industry, but I too am feeling the squeeze at work, no one really is footing the bill for env science anymore, or at least right now. I may come into the store in the next month or so and check out some paddles, if there are any left.

Comment

Bummer Bruce. Hope things work out for you.

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

I was just in there prior to my Good Friday camping trip. I think you helped me pick out some rations and some fuel for my Firefly. A lot of great deals to be had, but sorry for the unfortunate circumstances.
              Gregory
              ​Ain't Misbehavin'
              2014 Pro Angler 12
              '

Comment

Times are a changing, Brick and mortar are going away for some markets. HTO closed a year or so ago.
                With the internet consumers can educate themselves on exactly what they need, what each product provides,, Hell you can learn to disarm a nuclear bomb on youtube.
                I have not been in EMS in years, but I do know the times I was in HTO, their prices where very high, and the staff had limited knowledge of the products. They were more of a boutique store with high prices, I cant believe they lasted that long.
                I'll typ buy my kayaks from a kayak store that mass sells kayaks, and only kayaks. And they are typ not in the high rent district of a city.
                And even at that, I have done my own research and zero'd in on what will fit my needs.
                I went in Sears last month to buy a 600.00 rolling tool cabinet, they were useless, no worse than useless. I finally spent 30 min on the net and got a MUCH BETTER cabinet for 349.00 with free shipping.
                The days of brick and mortar are fading, except the big box stores to pickup everyday items,, anything specialized - 3 clicks and it is on your door step in 1-2 days.

Just my thoughts,
                Slack
                Captian of the plastic Navy
                1 - Mad River Canoes
                1- Tarpon 120
                1- Redfish 10
                1- Coosa HD
                2- Cuda 12
                1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Sorry to hear this, Bruce. Always liked EMS and the customer service I received there. Good luck to you in your next venture.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                  Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

That stinks! I want a carbon fiber paddle

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                      ... and they only look at dollars, not community.
                      I tried paying vendors and employees with community instead of dollars, neither would go for it...

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Lapse View Post
                          I tried paying vendors and employees with community instead of dollars, neither would go for it...
                          I guess you missed my point. I didn't get the impression this store was losing money, after all it had been there tor a long time and seemed to be going strong. apparently it wasn't making the margins the new owners wanted. So now the community loses a local source of knowledge, the city loses a revenue generating business, and the landlord loss a tenant, all because they weren't making enough money for their bean counters. No, community doesn't pay for products, but community is what makes a store succeed. Maybe someday we can all shop at the Eastern Cabelas Pro Shop conveniently located 75 miles from everyone, and won't that be special. Afterwards I'll dine at the Texas Lonestar Olive Garden Factory.
                          Mike
                          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

We got good service at EMS, especially recently.......so sorry
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I'm saddened to hear of your 'news', Bruce. Hopefully, I'll still see you on the water au futur.
                              Greedy new owners & greedy landlords ruin many fully-functional businesses.

Comment

Working...
                              X