Preparation- rigged rods vs. changing rigs on scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparation- rigged rods vs. changing rigs on scene

I built a PVC rod holder rig that slips into the two behind the seat rod holders on my Outback- holds up to six rods- I usually rig my rods at home before I pull out of the driveway with the lures/rigs I plan to use fishing that day- and normally carry three or four rods, fully rigged, ready to fish. I fish two rods- doesn't matter if I am bait fishing or trolling- only have two lines wet...and I can't count how many times I have had two fish on at the same time...happens a lot...a few years ago I built a 9' 3/4 inch solid fiberglass stakeout pole with metal point on one end and a tee handle on the other- that usually is in one paddle keeper and I carry half of my Hobie paddle in the other keeper...I find that changing rods is faster- tying 100% knots are easier at home than when you are trying to get back in the water and keeps me in the fishing game better than changing rigs on just one rod- I swap one outfit for another depending on the lures on the rods...and when I am salt water fishing I always have a 2500 spinning outfit rigged with a top water popper...early this year one rod/reel/lure outfit was killing the Rainbow Trout...Bill was using the exact same lure but wasn't connecting...since I was limited out and was just C&R fishing I gave him my rod, reel, lure combo so he could limit out...couldn't figure why it was the combo the fish were hitting, but it was...

So the question is- is this just me or do you do the same at home preparations?
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-23-2017, 10:13 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

The pa comes pre built with 6 horizontal rod holders in addition to the two verticals. I agree with you 100% changing rod is faster. Watching the bassmaster guys on TV, they have about 12 prerigged rods, so there's got to be some truth to it.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I'm a mix. I try not to transport rods rigged but still do at times. 80% of all the rods I've broken were during transport and of those, 50% probably wouldn't have broken if they weren't rigged.

I will rig all my rods either on the bank or when I pause at my first stop. I do try to just swap rods versus changing lures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      1980 Something Old Town Canoe
      2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
      2015 Coosa HD
      2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
      2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

I guess that all depends on your mode of transportation of your kayak- I have a pickup truck that permits me to have plenty of bed space to safely transport rigged rods- that might change if I only had a compact car...And I might add all my rods are one piece rods- all the spinning rods are 7' rods...
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-23-2017, 07:42 PM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I travel with rigged rods and rarely change lures on the water as a result.

One of the things I like about my Sienna van is that I can transport 9 ft. flyrods fully strung and ready to fish when I get to the water. Often I take two flyrods and a conventional rod or two. I can also carry the rest of my gear with room to spare.

P1010654.jpg
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I too like to pre-rig my rods. I probably carry way to many but I'm always ready if one goes down. I use the rod gloves while in transport.

Comment

I go pre rigged all the way and carry both rock and perch setups with me at all times. Generally try to launch at first light and don't want to waste 10 minutes in the lot rigging up rods. I guess I could get up 10 minutes earlier but too lazy for that.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I break my stuff down after each trip and re-rig.
                That way I don't get lazy about cleaning my gear at the end of the day, and routinely pull a couple of yards of line off of my reels before setting up.
                I've cut down on the number of rods and lures I carry. I usually only carry 2 rods, or at most 3 per trip these days. I used to carry a lot more.
                I pretty much know what lures I am going to fish with before I launch, set up just before heading out, and only change when necessary.
                I've busted way too many rods carrying assembled rods in the car.
                I lay my rods along the bottom of the canoe (one of the few advantages over a kayak) with just the handle above the thwart, as I do not like carrying vertical rods in the boat, too easy to get hung up in some of the gnarly places I fish-trees, docks, ropes, and this way I don't worry on my back cast..
                Last edited by bignose; 04-23-2017, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I go out with 4-6 pre-rigged rods. I have baits to cover various depths and conditions ready to grab as needed. I transport them in my compact Subaru and have found the rod socks make a huge difference in being able to keep them tangle free and undamaged
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Unless I'm completely mistaken there are few fish that are tackle averse, namely specks. I'm pretty sure I have not seen a diffence in catching anything else when I have a snap swivel before a jig or lure. Am I mistaken and would I have that much more success by removing the snap swivel? In speck fishing I use braid tied to mono & tied to appropriate jighead & usually have 2 colors of jig heads tied to mono.
                    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

95% of the time I fish for rockfish. My preferred technique involves trolling. I find it extremely effective for covering lots of water and finding the fish - I seldom end the day on a skunk.
                      This is my standard gameplan: I pre-rig all four rods at home. Most of the time I will run a tandem lure combo from each rod. Those combos have the same combination of one heavy and one light jig head, the only difference between them is the paddle-tail color - therefore, each jig-paddle-tail combo will run at the same depth, have the same action, but each with a different color.
                      When I first put in, my goal is to fish all four rods (eight hooks in all) as soon as possible. Once I have lines in the water, it doesn't take long to know which color the fish are interested in for that given day. Once I know what color they like, I will reel in the other three lines and just fish one rod. If the color is really working for me I will be busy enough with one rod, no need to complicate things by having a second line out there. But if the bite is a little slower, and I feel I can manage two rods, then I will put out a second line with a color that best approximates the color of the jig-paddle-tail combo that is working.
                      When the bite shuts down I simply wet all four lines again and repeat the investigative process until I find the new winning color. NOTE: It never ceases to amaze me how one color will work in the morning, and then a second, completely different shade will work in the afternoon/evening.
                      Using this approach I seldom have to re-tie on the water*. Remember: any time your line is not in the water is time you are not fishing.

*The one exception is if I come across breaking fish. When this occurs, I will remove one entire jig-paddle-tail tandem combo, and replace it with a casting spoon (and yes, I carry different casting spoon colors as well). Having Quick Snaps makes this change out, well,...a snap :-)
                      -manny

Hobie Outback
                      Wilderness Systems 130T
                      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I like to travel with rods rigged and ready to go, so I can get to fishing as soon as possible without wasting time getting set up. Since I recently upgraded most of my rods and reels, I don't want to travel with them just laying in the bed of the truck. To solve this, my brother helped me build rod holders that fit into the track system of my Tacoma. They sit at an angle so that I can still carry two kayaks on the rack, and have room in the bed for other gear. I'm hoping to test them out this weekend.

IMG_2584.jpg
                        Last edited by rugbyfish; 04-24-2017, 02:02 PM.
                        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Working...
                        X