Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a fishing light to attract fish at night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use a fishing light to attract fish at night?

If so, is it worth it? What sorts of fish do you attract in the mid bay? Stripers? Blues?
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

I don't use one on my kayak, but I love fishing docks with lights later in the season for perch and eventual Rocks
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
      I don't use one on my kayak, but I love fishing docks with lights later in the season for perch and eventual Rocks
      Don't forget flounders...

Comment

I don't fish at night so I have no need for a light. Here is a product sold by the 12 Fathom lure company from which I get my soft plastics. The light is fairly compact.

http://www.12fathom.com/proddetail.php?prod=FL8
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          I don't fish at night so I have no need for a light. Here is a product sold by the 12 Fathom lure company from which I get my soft plastics. The light is fairly compact.

http://www.12fathom.com/proddetail.php?prod=FL8
          Thanks, John. I like the peace and quiet at night. Plus, it buys me more tike to fish once the baby goes to sleep.
          Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
          Mercury 6hp
          Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg View Post
            Plus, it buys me more tike to fish once the baby goes to sleep.
            This too has turned into a creature of the night. It makes finding time a whole lot easier The fishing is often better too!

I'm skeptical that investing money in creating your own light from your kayak is worth the time and money and would provide you with increased catching. I think you would be better of finding a location that already has permanent lighting and fishing that. Stuff like bridges, docks, bulkheads, whatever... The predator fish already know these locations and will be there consistently night after night after night.

However, lights and shadows aren't required. You can find some pretty nice fish under the cover of pitch black.
            Brian

Comment

I haven't used one yet with my kayak. I have on my bass boat and the light does what it is intended to do... attracts smaller fish, which in turn attracts larger fish. The light for my bass boat is a 12 volt plug in with about 15 ft of cord. I do have a 5-6 inch battery operated version that I bought for use with my kayak. I just put lights on Matilda for the specific purpose of fishing at night and being seen and I'm sure the smaller attractor light will work just as well.
              Gregory
              ​Ain't Misbehavin'
              2014 Pro Angler 12
              '

Comment

Working...
              X