Some Drag Burning Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
    Just curious, but what size reel are you using, if you are using a spinning reel? I'm going up to Jbay this year, and I know my 4000 class reels will be more than up to the challenge, but it might be too much to ask for my 2500. Although it's spooled with 20lb braid, and I intend to run at least 50lb leader, so it might be fine (I doubt any fish in those waters could consistently put up more than 13lb of drag anyway).
    I was using a 4000 size reel. 50lb mono leader will be fine for bass, but you'll likely get cutoff, or at the very least being re-tying often from nicks and frays, if you use 50lb mono for blues of this size. I would suggest 80lb or steel for a bluefish leader.
    Brian

Comment

And yakscientist, I forgot to add... if you haven't already, strongly consider upgrading the hardware on any plugs you plan to use for big blues. The standard split rings and hooks most plugs come with are junk and will not hold up to the abuse of big blues. Or even big bass for that matter.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
        And yakscientist, I forgot to add... if you haven't already, strongly consider upgrading the hardware on any plugs you plan to use for big blues. The standard split rings and hooks most plugs come with are junk and will not hold up to the abuse of big blues. Or even big bass for that matter.
        Thanks for the tips! I don't often use plugs, but if I do, I will be sure to change out the hardware. And I will bring plenty of wire leaders of course. Mostly I will be using zmans, weighted snag hooks, tube n worm, etc. I don't often use plugs because I 1) don't like trebles and 2) am too lazy to switch out the trebles.

Comment

I'm headed to the OBX tonight. The big blues are down there right now too. Hope they stick around next week!

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
            Thanks for the tips! I don't often use plugs, but if I do, I will be sure to change out the hardware. And I will bring plenty of wire leaders of course. Mostly I will be using zmans, weighted snag hooks, tube n worm, etc. I don't often use plugs because I 1) don't like trebles and 2) am too lazy to switch out the trebles.
            What he said!
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

A few more reports to add to this thread...

Last Sunday, Minh (Mdungo60 - sorry if I spelled the username wrong bud!) and I launched at first light. Winds were calm, water was virtually glass, and fog rolled in and out throughout the morning. Near perfect conditions. The only thing off was the tide; it was closer to low than high. We searched the flats with topwater pretty extensively and found a few scattered fish, but nothing like it had been. Minh landed one, lost one. I landed three, had two others crash on top but never connect, and spooked one I run over that never hit. We searched shallow and off the flat in the channel; just seemed like they were scattered in the upper backbay area and not in huge numbers anymore.

I went out yesterday evening and tried closer to the inlet. Wind was cranking straight down the inlet and commercial harbor. It was a bit of work getting out, but once I got to where I wanted to fish it was manageable. I let the wind drift me a across some flats and holes casting topwater. Nada. Towards last light I made my way to the Rt. 50 bridge and picked up a couple blues there, but small ones. Maybe biggest was 18". I probably could of caught a bunch of them if I had brought some small stuff with me. Smallest plugs I had were 6 - 7". They bumped it a lot, but I was after big ones anyway.

There has still been some good reports from the inlet area but it looks like it's winding down. I may give it a shot one more time up the bay to see if I can find them again since its so close to the house. Otherwise, I'm overdue for some black drum, red drum, and stripers from the beach!
              Brian

Comment

I decided last minute to load up this evening and try the flats behind OC again to see if any blues were still around. The weather was perfect for some bluefish action - light rain, east wind, and some clean, green water. I let the wind drift me across the flat as I threw topwater. It didn't take very long before I was able to figure out that the blues were still around and in good numbers.

Although, they were a different class of fish then what I was finding a couple weeks ago. I did find two bigger ones that were about 32"-33"ish, but for the most part, the others averaged between 24" - 28". And they were everywhere! I fished for about an hour and half and almost every cast was a hookup or at least saw them attack the plug. What they lacked in size they made up for with their spastic, never give up attitude.

It turned out to be a fun last minute trip!

Brian

Comment

Nice job Brian ��

Comment

I hope they stay out of the Bay...They eat everything...reeling in half a speckled trout is a sure sign of chopper blues...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Might need to try one more trip... What excuse can I give to work?
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                        Might need to try one more trip... What excuse can I give to work?
                        I predict a case of the 24-hour flu is in the offing.

Take two aspirin and stay in your kayak.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

After reading Slobber Bob's report last week and EMSer's report from a few weeks ago, I decided it was worth a try for some big blues. Harlan Budowski joined me as we fished the flats behind Ocean City. We launched at 9:00 am without any familiarity with the area. We set out trolling against the light wind. The lures I had pre-rigged were far too heavy for the shallow water -- they quickly got fouled with seaweed. I downsized twice until I was using mainly 1/2-oz jigheads with 4"-6" twistertails. We trolled for nearly an hour without any luck. The water was very calm initially. We saw no evidence of fish (splashing, jumping baitfish, working birds). After a while we changed directions and worked out to slightly deeper water. A few minutes later I was slammed by an aggressive bluefish. It measured out at 27" -- not the 35"-plus monsters Bruce was hauling in a few weeks ago, but still plenty strong. Shortly after that I tossed out a popper. I could see 25" blues smashing that lure, but they did not hook up. I began casting my paddletail and was rewarded with instant gratification. Unfortunately Just as Harlan and I found the fish, the wind built until we were dealing with 1.5' to 2' chop. We also got blown away from the fish and had to paddle upwind often. With those waves, we got wet.

Eventually we found the blues again and stayed with them for nearly two hours. By then we were exhausted and wet and ready to head in. I found that the blues responded quickly to light colored paddletails (white, pearl, chartreuse, pink) but did not pay much attention to darker colors. To my surprise, the 4" and 5" Storm shads I threw did not get much attention.

We finished with 20-25 fish each. They ranged from about 21" to 28" and all were strong pullers. They destroyed nearly all the larger paddletails I had plus wrecked two wire leaders. The next to last photo below shows one of my blues that had sore/wounds on its sides.

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_0243.jpgIMGP0003.jpgIMGP0004.jpgIMGP0005.jpgIMGP0006.jpg
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That sounds like a great day! Glad you found some still willing to play!

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                            After reading Slobber Bob's report last week and EMSer's report from a few weeks ago, I decided it was worth a try for some big blues. Harlan Budowski joined me as we fished the flats behind Ocean City. We launched at 9:00 am without any familiarity with the area. We set out trolling against the light wind. The lures I had pre-rigged were far too heavy for the shallow water -- they quickly got fouled with seaweed. I downsized twice until I was using mainly 1/2-oz jigheads with 4"-6" twistertails. We trolled for nearly an hour without any luck. The water was very calm initially. We saw no evidence of fish (splashing, jumping baitfish, working birds). After a while we changed directions and worked out to slightly deeper water. A few minutes later I was slammed by an aggressive bluefish. It measured out at 27" -- not the 35"-plus monsters Bruce was hauling in a few weeks ago, but still plenty strong. Shortly after that I tossed out a popper. I could see 25" blues smashing that lure, but they did not hook up. I began casting my paddletail and was rewarded with instant gratification. Unfortunately Just as Harlan and I found the fish, the wind built until we were dealing with 1.5' to 2' chop. We also got blown away from the fish and had to paddle upwind often. With those waves, we got wet.

Eventually we found the blues again and stayed with them for nearly two hours. By then we were exhausted and wet and ready to head in. I found that the blues responded quickly to light colored paddletails (white, pearl, chartreuse, pink) but did not pay much attention to darker colors. To my surprise, the 4" and 5" Storm shads I threw did not get much attention.

We finished with 20-25 fish each. They ranged from about 21" to 28" and all were strong pullers. They destroyed nearly all the larger paddletails I had plus wrecked two wire leaders. The next to last photo below shows one of my blues that had sore/wounds on its sides.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21502[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21504[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21505[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21506[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21507[/ATTACH]
                            Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

They sure do like to destroy tackle! Again, awesome to hear you guys burned them up!
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X