Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Drag Burning Fun

thanks for the report!

Anyone in the southern bay have reports of blues coming into the Chesapeake, yet? Last year was a major bummer for bluefish.
    Trident Ultra 4.3
    Pompano 120
    Garmin Striker 4dv

Be careful what you ask for...back in the day these brutes were considered nuisance fish-they would cut a 12 pound grey trout in two on your line...just reel in the head and gills...kinda like jacks in the Gulf...hard fighters but not what we want for the table...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Yep...looks like the blues are coming back to the sizes they used to be in the late 70's early 80's...they were so thick back then it was unbelievable- 12-20 pound bluefish by the millions...we used to joke that you could put a treble hook on a beer can and catch bluefish....and we used coated wire leaders on everything because of bluefish...
    I remember those days. We used to say that we would be more worried about falling into a feeding school of blues rather than a school of pirana.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 40 backup power

Quote Originally Posted by Slobber Bob View Post
    It looks like blues are spread from AI to CHSP from the reports; both out front and in the back.

I went out Friday, and again this evening, for an hour or so. Friday I launched right into the wolf pack with my first 6 cast resulting in fish. Multiple fish crashing my topwater simultaneously each time. I actually got cut off twice from fish other than the one I hooked I was only in 3 ft of water and some of them were almost coming completely out of the water as the chased the plug. It was some of the most exciting fishing I've had in awhile.

This evening was a little windier, choppier, with rain showers, and I had to search a little for them. I never did find a school of them, but still managed to pickup up 2 singles that were roaming around.

Just curious, but what size reel are you using, if you are using a spinning reel? I'm going up to Jbay this year, and I know my 4000 class reels will be more than up to the challenge, but it might be too much to ask for my 2500. Although it's spooled with 20lb braid, and I intend to run at least 50lb leader, so it might be fine (I doubt any fish in those waters could consistently put up more than 13lb of drag anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    Just curious, but what size reel are you using, if you are using a spinning reel? I'm going up to Jbay this year, and I know my 4000 class reels will be more than up to the challenge, but it might be too much to ask for my 2500. Although it's spooled with 20lb braid, and I intend to run at least 50lb leader, so it might be fine (I doubt any fish in those waters could consistently put up more than 13lb of drag anyway).
    I was using a 4000 size reel. 50lb mono leader will be fine for bass, but you'll likely get cutoff, or at the very least being re-tying often from nicks and frays, if you use 50lb mono for blues of this size. I would suggest 80lb or steel for a bluefish leader.

And yakscientist, I forgot to add... if you haven't already, strongly consider upgrading the hardware on any plugs you plan to use for big blues. The standard split rings and hooks most plugs come with are junk and will not hold up to the abuse of big blues. Or even big bass for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Slobber Bob View Post
    And yakscientist, I forgot to add... if you haven't already, strongly consider upgrading the hardware on any plugs you plan to use for big blues. The standard split rings and hooks most plugs come with are junk and will not hold up to the abuse of big blues. Or even big bass for that matter.
    Thanks for the tips! I don't often use plugs, but if I do, I will be sure to change out the hardware. And I will bring plenty of wire leaders of course. Mostly I will be using zmans, weighted snag hooks, tube n worm, etc. I don't often use plugs because I 1) don't like trebles and 2) am too lazy to switch out the trebles.

I'm headed to the OBX tonight. The big blues are down there right now too. Hope they stick around next week!

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    Thanks for the tips! I don't often use plugs, but if I do, I will be sure to change out the hardware. And I will bring plenty of wire leaders of course. Mostly I will be using zmans, weighted snag hooks, tube n worm, etc. I don't often use plugs because I 1) don't like trebles and 2) am too lazy to switch out the trebles.
    What he said!
    Bruce

Wilderness System, Thresher 155