Some Drag Burning Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Drag Burning Fun

It looks like blues are spread from AI to CHSP from the reports; both out front and in the back.

I went out Friday, and again this evening, for an hour or so. Friday I launched right into the wolf pack with my first 6 cast resulting in fish. Multiple fish crashing my topwater simultaneously each time. I actually got cut off twice from fish other than the one I hooked I was only in 3 ft of water and some of them were almost coming completely out of the water as the chased the plug. It was some of the most exciting fishing I've had in awhile.

This evening was a little windier, choppier, with rain showers, and I had to search a little for them. I never did find a school of them, but still managed to pickup up 2 singles that were roaming around.

Brian

Big blues on topwater - now that's a good day!!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice! I know you're still upset over losing lures. Lol.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Yep...looks like the blues are coming back to the sizes they used to be in the late 70's early 80's...they were so thick back then it was unbelievable- 12-20 pound bluefish by the millions...we used to joke that you could put a treble hook on a beer can and catch bluefish....and we used coated wire leaders on everything because of bluefish...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Beasts! Sounds like a great time. Topwater blues sound like a lot of fun, but add in the size and it sounds a little scary in the dark. hahaha

Comment

Nice, I hope I can get a chance to get in on some of this action after my second son's born, but before they leave!
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              Beasts! Sounds like a great time. Topwater blues sound like a lot of fun, but add in the size and it sounds a little scary in the dark. hahaha
              This bigger ones are actually not as crazy as the little ones. They're relatively calm once landed.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

nice fish pictures and on top water
                Red Hobie outback
                Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Nothing but strong reports continuing to come out of Lewes. I am hoping to head there med week to get in on the fun. Crossing my fingers and toes they are still there. I missed them by 2 days last year....
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                    Nice! I know you're still upset over losing lures. Lol.
                    Yes. Yes I was, haha. I was over it until I lost a third plug tonight. Broke me off above the leader. And of course it was when I was using a brand new popper. What was I thinking not using my old stuff?!

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                    Nothing but strong reports continuing to come out of Lewes. I am hoping to head there med week to get in on the fun. Crossing my fingers and toes they are still there. I missed them by 2 days last year....
                    Oh, yea! I went back out this evening last minute. Fished for an hour and a half and got, no joke, 2 dozen of them; all 30 - 36". I didn't go more than 3 - 4 casts without hooking up or at least having one crash the plug. Topwater until dark and a bomber after dark. Hope they are still there after this blow we are supposed to get the next couple days. Don't be afraid to look outside CHSP either to avoid googan central
                    Brian

Comment

thanks for the report!
                      2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Anyone in the southern bay have reports of blues coming into the Chesapeake, yet? Last year was a major bummer for bluefish.
                        Native Titan Propel 12
                        Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
                        Mercury 6hp
                        Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
                        Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Be careful what you ask for...back in the day these brutes were considered nuisance fish-they would cut a 12 pound grey trout in two on your line...just reel in the head and gills...kinda like jacks in the Gulf...hard fighters but not what we want for the table...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            Yep...looks like the blues are coming back to the sizes they used to be in the late 70's early 80's...they were so thick back then it was unbelievable- 12-20 pound bluefish by the millions...we used to joke that you could put a treble hook on a beer can and catch bluefish....and we used coated wire leaders on everything because of bluefish...
                            I remember those days. We used to say that we would be more worried about falling into a feeding school of blues rather than a school of pirana.
                            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                              It looks like blues are spread from AI to CHSP from the reports; both out front and in the back.

I went out Friday, and again this evening, for an hour or so. Friday I launched right into the wolf pack with my first 6 cast resulting in fish. Multiple fish crashing my topwater simultaneously each time. I actually got cut off twice from fish other than the one I hooked I was only in 3 ft of water and some of them were almost coming completely out of the water as the chased the plug. It was some of the most exciting fishing I've had in awhile.

This evening was a little windier, choppier, with rain showers, and I had to search a little for them. I never did find a school of them, but still managed to pickup up 2 singles that were roaming around.

Just curious, but what size reel are you using, if you are using a spinning reel? I'm going up to Jbay this year, and I know my 4000 class reels will be more than up to the challenge, but it might be too much to ask for my 2500. Although it's spooled with 20lb braid, and I intend to run at least 50lb leader, so it might be fine (I doubt any fish in those waters could consistently put up more than 13lb of drag anyway).

Comment

Working...
                              X