Info on Downs Park/ Beverly Triton Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on Downs Park/ Beverly Triton Beach

Has any one ever gone out of one of these 2. Thinking about getting on the water tomorrow morning April 22nd. Looking for some feed back. Leaning towards Beverly Triton since it's south of Annapolis.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Beverly Triton is about a quarter of a mile from my front door. Park hours are 7am to 8pm. You can drive down to launch your kayak but have to park outside the park gate. It is a little bit of a walk. Make sure you pay attention to the tide schedule as low tide will see water level drop to just about where the breakers start. The beach gets really busy on the weekends and evening and there are absolutely no frills there. Water is only 6-8 feet deep just beyond the breakers. I've had good success there and down towards Mayo beach. If you head straight out from the beach there's a drop off to about 14-15 feet, where I've picked up bites with more pullage. I've trolled swimbaits and topwater lures in the area and have caught a lot of decent sized rockfish in this area. The bite is best around dawn and dusk. The park ranger will lock the gate on you if you are tardy in getting back in on time. Alternative is to beach your rig at Mayo and walk out then drive around. I'll be out turkey hunting tomorrow on the Eastern Shore or I'd go out with you. Tight Lines!
    Gregory
    ​Ain't Misbehavin'
    2014 Pro Angler 12
    '

Comment

Thanks for the info. It would seem that it's to rain tonight into tomorrow morning. Thinking I might sit it out. I'm still trying to learn the area.
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

There are two launches in Downs Park. I live only a few miles from the park and I have not launched there in several years. Here's why:

On the south side you can launch directly into the Bay from the beach.

However:

1. Parking is not close to the launch. There are asphalt paths most of the way to the beach where you launch but it's still a haul.
        2. It's big water (the Bay is miles wide there) and there is no protection from the wind. Conditions can deteriorate fast.
        3. I have caught white perch, stripers and CNR kayaking from Downs but because I have visited it so infrequently I really do not know the fishing area well.

On the north side of the park there is a launch into Bodkin Creek. Bodkin is a tributary of the Patapsco. Again, parking is far from the launch but there is a flat paved path to the water. Here are some photos of that path and launch:

A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg G.jpg H.jpg

It can be a muddy launch when the tide is out.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X