Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transporting Two Kayaks - no truck, no trailor, options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

toadfinger and Slackdaddy,

Thank you for your replies. It gives me a peace of mind knowing that others have carried two "heavy" kayaks.

BTW, you guys have one of the better names on the forum.

@rockchaser, thanks for the Jeep picture. I now really miss my cherokee. I don't like the newly designed Cherokees. I wish they would bring back the boxy look and just modernize it similar to a Land Rover...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

So funny you should bring up about the XJ Cherokees.
      My 15 year old wants to do jeep build project with me.
      I ended up picking up 4 XJ Cherokees. a 2001 for him, a 2000 for me and 2) 94 parts jeeps, all very cheap

Slack

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
      @rockchaser, thanks for the Jeep picture. I now really miss my cherokee. I don't like the newly designed Cherokees. I wish they would bring back the boxy look and just modernize it similar to a Land Rover...
      Captian of the plastic Navy
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Most cars and SUVs are rated at 165 lbs on their roof rack mounts. I have used the same set of Yakima bars (with matched mount towers) on my Honda Pilot, Honda CR-V and now my Mazda 2 to haul 2 13 ft sot's (130lbs) for thousands of miles with no issues. I check the bolt torques every few months and always use fore and aft tie downs in case of a freak bar failure. I recently saw a roof rack that was sheared off of a roof by an unfortunate low flying buzzard. That totally sold me on the merit of the these tie downs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the reply and the picture!

The kayak seems to be bigger than the car. Does carrying it like that catch wind, especially on big bridges?
          2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I loathed hauling my 12' kayak on top my jeep, none the less my 15.5'. I'd keep my eye open for a used utility trailer on Craigslist. Or harbor freight sells em brand new for around $300.

I promise it's worth it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Zack
            Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
            "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
              Thanks for the reply and the picture!

The kayak seems to be bigger than the car. Does carrying it like that catch wind, especially on big bridges?
              Most of the time it isn't an issue. Going into a storm on the CBBt last September was interesting but I just dropped my speed down to 50 until I got to fishermans island.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X