Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Two Kayaks - no truck, no trailor, options?

Default Transporting Two Kayaks - no truck, no trailor, options?

I wish I had all my pics, but I've hauled two kayaks down to Florida and also up to Lake Erie to fish my hometown waters once or twice.
    I put the old rectangular Thule bars and roof racks on my forester. I've have hauled a combination of different yaks but the heaviest being probably a Cuda 14 and Revo13. Neither of those are particularly huge but the Cuda is a good size kayak. Especially once you start storing rods inside the hull. One in a J style rack and the other cradled on its belly. Depending on the hull shape and if I'm loading solo, I'll lay it deck down or belly down, whichever works best. For super long trips I doubled the tie down straps, but that's about it. The bars on the forester are pretty far apart so I never messed with a bow strap, might be worth checking out though just to take some stress of the cross bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jsnyd86; 04-22-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    -Jon
    Revo 13
    Forest Camo Jackson Cuda 14

Quote Originally Posted by jsnyd86 View Post
    I wish I had all my pics, but I've hauled two kayaks down to Florida and also up to Lake Erie to fish my hometown waters once or twice.
    I put the old rectangular Thule bars and roof racks on my forester. I've have hauled a combination of different yaks but the heaviest being probably a Cuda 14 and Revo13. Neither of those are particularly huge but the Cuda is a good size kayak. Especially once you start storing rods inside the hull. One in a J style rack and the other cradled on its belly. Depending on the hull shape and if I'm loading solo, I'll lay it deck down or belly down, whichever works best. For super long trips I doubled the tie down straps, but that's about it. The bars on the forester are pretty far apart so I never messed with a bow strap, might be worth checking out though just to take some stress of the cross bars.

Thank you. Looks like it can be done with safety precaution. Look like Cuda 14 and Revo 13 combines to about 150lbs.

I'm going to see if my 58inch bars can handle the two kayaks with one of them being on a J cradle. I'll post a picture of as an update.

My worst nightmare kayaking is a kayak falling off my roof rack or hooking into a dolphin...

I used to hauled 2 kayaks on my factory Jeep roof rack quite often. Is till hauled 2 Outbacks this way every once in a while. I did upgrade the roof rack to 1999 Cherokee parts since it had a wider base that connects to the rails.

jeep 2 kayaks.jpg
    Jim

Hobie Outback
    TKAA member
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Seasalt,
    I carry two standard (70-80 lb each) SOT kayaks such as Hobies, Wilderness Ride 135, OK Prowlers on the Yakima round bars with complete confidence. I load them deck side down, strap each individually to the forward and rear bars and run a security cable through a scubber and loop around the bar. The upside down loading seems to be pretty aerodynamic- I hardly notice any difference in my gas mileage with the kayaks on.

Yeah, the name- came to me while I was having a stare down with a toad fish. That finger has had more than its share of trouble.

We have many times on my wifes 2008 Durango.
    Here is what I did.
    I bought 2 pcs of 3/4" EMT conduit, 4 pack of 3/4" rubber feet, and 4 hose clamps.
    I cut the conduit so it sticks out about 6" on each side, used the hose clamps to "strap it too" the existing cross bars, then put the rubber bumpers on it.
    Total spent was about $14.00
    I have hauled 2 LOADED down Jackson kayaks on many long trips.
    I have left the EMT poles on the car (her daily driver) for 2 years now.

Slack
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    2 - Mad River Canoes
    2- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Prodigy 12
    1- Coosa HD
    1- Cuda 12

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

toadfinger and Slackdaddy,

Thank you for your replies. It gives me a peace of mind knowing that others have carried two "heavy" kayaks.

BTW, you guys have one of the better names on the forum.

@rockchaser, thanks for the Jeep picture. I now really miss my cherokee. I don't like the newly designed Cherokees. I wish they would bring back the boxy look and just modernize it similar to a Land Rover...

So funny you should bring up about the XJ Cherokees.
    My 15 year old wants to do jeep build project with me.
    I ended up picking up 4 XJ Cherokees. a 2001 for him, a 2000 for me and 2) 94 parts jeeps, all very cheap

Slack

Quote Originally Posted by Seasalt View Post
    @rockchaser, thanks for the Jeep picture. I now really miss my cherokee. I don't like the newly designed Cherokees. I wish they would bring back the boxy look and just modernize it similar to a Land Rover...
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    2 - Mad River Canoes
    2- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Prodigy 12
    1- Coosa HD
    1- Cuda 12

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Most cars and SUVs are rated at 165 lbs on their roof rack mounts. I have used the same set of Yakima bars (with matched mount towers) on my Honda Pilot, Honda CR-V and now my Mazda 2 to haul 2 13 ft sot's (130lbs) for thousands of miles with no issues. I check the bolt torques every few months and always use fore and aft tie downs in case of a freak bar failure. I recently saw a roof rack that was sheared off of a roof by an unfortunate low flying buzzard. That totally sold me on the merit of the these tie downs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply and the picture!

The kayak seems to be bigger than the car. Does carrying it like that catch wind, especially on big bridges?

I loathed hauling my 12' kayak on top my jeep, none the less my 15.5'. I'd keep my eye open for a used utility trailer on Craigslist. Or harbor freight sells em brand new for around $300.

I promise it's worth it lol.

Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.