First Shad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Shad

Landed my first Hickory Shad on the Eastern Shore this morning. Never fish for this species before this morning. Had a great time, landed 5 in about 1 hour. Also landed several small perch and one 10" Rockfish. Was using shad darts with a white twisty tail. Didn't realize the pullage by this fish-loads of fun.

001_2.jpg
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Nice going John. It was a fun outing. I'm glad you were able to add a new species to your list.

P.S. The blueberry pancakes on the way home were a delicious bonus.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yes they were!
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

It's always fun to catch a new species and open up more fishing possibilities.

Shad, especially in current are a blast! Mini Tarpon!
        I don't know if I'd like to be able to fish for them year around. But definitely a good harbinger of the rest of fishing season.
        I was thinking today, after fishing the Susky (not great), that you start the season for them in winter jackets and hoodies freezing your butt off, and finish in T shirts by mid-May.

Sometimes, when things are right, you can catch so many of them that it becomes boring (well, sorta)

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
          It's always fun to catch a new species and open up more fishing possibilities.

Shad, especially in current are a blast! Mini Tarpon!
          I don't know if I'd like to be able to fish for them year around. But definitely a good harbinger of the rest of fishing season.
          I was thinking today, after fishing the Susky (not great), that you start the season for them in winter jackets and hoodies freezing your butt off, and finish in T shirts by mid-May.

Sometimes, when things are right, you can catch so many of them that it becomes boring (well, sorta)
          That's a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Good for you, John.

That's a nice outing.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

2 years ago I caught about 80 on 2 consecutive days and my shoulder was sore for a week.

Comment

Working...
              X