Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hickories

hickory2017.jpg
    Caught some hickories from my kayak. First time really getting into them from my kayak. I fished for them from shore in years past and have always done well with shad darts, small spoons and shad flies on my 6 wt but they only wanted white twister tails which I found odd.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Any good place to catch them from yak or shore you can recommend? Also, can you troll for shad?
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13
    Have fun,
    Russ

Comment

Shad from the kayak is a recipe for great fun! glad you found then. My best ever day with shad was at the Roanoke Rapids about this time of year. And then there are the American's! They go deep and pull....
      Thanks for the post....
      ST

Comment

Originally posted by RussellK View Post
        Any good place to catch them from yak or shore you can recommend? Also, can you troll for shad?
        Fletchers boat house is probably the best place overall that I'm aware of. You can launch your kayak there or walk up river. You "can" troll for them, but you'd probably be better off sitting behind some rocks and tossing a shad dart into the current and let it swing down. Same things you'd use for crappie can be used for shad.
        -Jon
        Revo 13

Comment

Fletchers is the best from shore as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
            Fletchers is the best from shore as far as I know.
            Better than Deer Creek or Octarara?

Comment

I guess it depends on who you talk to. I know Deer Creek can be shoulder to shoulder when the run is on. I have personally not fished the Octoraro for shad.

Comment

Conowingo was hot last weekend from shore. It got to point where people saw you catching fish and there were so many people fishing the same spot and casting right on top of you and tangling the lines.
                2016 Old Town Predator 13 Urban Camo

Comment

Originally posted by mjfishnut View Post
                  Conowingo was hot last weekend from shore. It got to point where people saw you catching fish and there were so many people fishing the same spot and casting right on top of you and tangling the lines.
                  Fun[emoji51]! I haven't fished those places but fish on just about every cast is about as good as it gets for me. Toughest part about Fletcher's is the traffic and the crowds, but I don't go during peak times if I can help it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  -Jon
                  Revo 13

Comment

Do you think there might be shad upstream of Patuxent river near Rt. 214 bridge? It minutes away from my work. Thank you
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 13
                    Have fun,
                    Russ

Comment

I am unsure of that as that is not in my area. Check some local forums or maybe someone on here will know.

Comment

I've been trying to catch & release them in as many different locations. I am up to 14 right now.

Comment

Hickories

Originally posted by RussellK View Post
                          Do you think there might be shad upstream of Patuxent river near Rt. 214 bridge? It minutes away from my work. Thank you
                          That's a good question. I always thought that the striper follow the shad run upstream. The shad get funneled into the Potomac and that creates good pinch points for us to line the shores, but I think the rest continue up the Chesapeake. Idk how far they're willing to travel but the mouth of Pax and Potomac are pretty close to each other and Fletcher's is a much further swim than that bridge.
                          Shad love current though. I've never fished up that way on pax but if there's not a good amount of water flow they probably won't be there. Maybe someone who has can fill us in better.
                          -Jon
                          Revo 13

Comment

Was in Havre de Grace yesterday, noticed hundreds of shad floating everywhere. What is going on with fish kills on the flats.
                            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I saw a lot of dead mud shad at Susquehanna last week. I don't know what is killing them but at least I didn't see any dead Hickories or Americans.

Comment

Working...
                              X