Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hickories

Default Hickories

hickory2017.jpg
    Caught some hickories from my kayak. First time really getting into them from my kayak. I fished for them from shore in years past and have always done well with shad darts, small spoons and shad flies on my 6 wt but they only wanted white twister tails which I found odd.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Any good place to catch them from yak or shore you can recommend? Also, can you troll for shad?

Shad from the kayak is a recipe for great fun! glad you found then. My best ever day with shad was at the Roanoke Rapids about this time of year. And then there are the American's! They go deep and pull....
    Thanks for the post....
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by RussellK View Post
    Any good place to catch them from yak or shore you can recommend? Also, can you troll for shad?
    Fletchers boat house is probably the best place overall that I'm aware of. You can launch your kayak there or walk up river. You "can" troll for them, but you'd probably be better off sitting behind some rocks and tossing a shad dart into the current and let it swing down. Same things you'd use for crappie can be used for shad.
    -Jon
    Revo 13
    Forest Camo Jackson Cuda 14

Fletchers is the best from shore as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Backdoc View Post
    Fletchers is the best from shore as far as I know.
    Better than Deer Creek or Octarara?

I guess it depends on who you talk to. I know Deer Creek can be shoulder to shoulder when the run is on. I have personally not fished the Octoraro for shad.

Conowingo was hot last weekend from shore. It got to point where people saw you catching fish and there were so many people fishing the same spot and casting right on top of you and tangling the lines.
    2016 Old Town Predator 13 Urban Camo

Quote Originally Posted by mjfishnut View Post
    Conowingo was hot last weekend from shore. It got to point where people saw you catching fish and there were so many people fishing the same spot and casting right on top of you and tangling the lines.
    Fun! I haven't fished those places but fish on just about every cast is about as good as it gets for me. Toughest part about Fletcher's is the traffic and the crowds, but I don't go during peak times if I can help it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Jon
    Revo 13
    Forest Camo Jackson Cuda 14

Do you think there might be shad upstream of Patuxent river near Rt. 214 bridge? It minutes away from my work. Thank you