ocean kayak caper..advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ocean kayak caper..advice

Anybody have any experience with the ocean kayak caper? Hurt my back last year and am looking for a lighter kayak to rooftop carry. Mostly bay and creek fishing. Thanks

As long as you don't paddle to far and are fairly light it makes a good quick trip kayak. I had a scrambler 11 (47lbs) and it was a good run and gun kayak. There was a lot of hull slap with that kayak, and it was a pain to paddle. The hull of the caper is more like the drifter I use to own. It won't track very well, so like I said as long as your not going distance it will be ok. Also that hull shape will spin like a top with just a few paddle strokes making it great for working docks and around bridge pilings. Also the rear tank well won't fit a regular milk crate. But you can use a plastic ammo crate from bass pro and fit 3 Plano boxes in there. Just keep in mind the max load is only 275-300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Take a look at the ocean kayak prowler 13 as well. I have one and they track very well even without a rudder. and the best part, they only weight 55 lbs!
        Michael
        2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
        Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Thanks Michael. That sounds like a good one to check out.

Comment

Look into Eddyline some of the lightes sit on top kayaks made . Maybe a bit pricey , but a nice kayaks . very well made . I have the Caribbean 14 and like it a lot . I all so have a K -12 ( not a eddyline ) which is great for the marsh not the best for the bay .
            Last edited by RIng; 04-20-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

eddyline looked real nice but they are a little pricey.. would never get the wife to agree to that

Comment

The Eddyline kayaks are light because they are made using the thermoforming process instead of being rotomolded. Some of the popular fishing kayak companies such as Wilderness are starting to produce lightweight versions of their popular models such as the Tarpon with this forming technique.
                Red Wilderness Tarpon 120
                2014 Papaya Hobie Outback

Comment

Hurricane also sells various models of lightweight thermoformed kayaks. Their sister company, Native Watercraft, offers the only pedal drive thermoformed kayak on the market.

Another super-light kayak that is no longer made is the Native Tegris. This is the same shape as the Ultimate, but was made of a high-strength and lightweight material like Kevlar. These show up occasionally in the used kayak market.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Mbae View Post
                    Take a look at the ocean kayak prowler 13 as well. I have one and they track very well even without a rudder. and the best part, they only weight 55 lbs!
                    +1

I bought one cheap on craigslist as a starter and I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. Easy and light (for a sit-on-top) to transport; you can carry it on your shoulder relatively easily. Tracks well and easy to paddle. The hatch isn't the most water tight though when it's really sloppy out, or if you're punching through a good surf. But otherwise it might be a good fit.
                    Brian

Comment

getting ready to buy a prowler. i weigh about 200 pounds. Think that will work for me?

Comment

Originally posted by msjcl View Post
                        getting ready to buy a prowler. i weigh about 200 pounds. Think that will work for me?
                        The prowler is a good kayak, it is a older design by ocean kayak and a lot of there older models were well known for being a "wet ride". Even with a weight capacity of 400lbs or something like that plan on there to be a little water in the foot wells and maybe some in the seating area. I believe they raised the seat area in the newer models to help with this issue. Not a huge deal just get some scupper plugs and your all set. It is really a versatile kayak. You can take it out in a river one day then surf launch it the next. I think you will be pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Desert Camo- Moken 14
                        Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I've got a Trident 13. Can be a wet ride at times but usually when the conditions are on the rougher side. I bought some one way scupper plugs that allow water to drain, but not collect in the seat or tank well areas. The front scuppers stay open.

Comment

Working...
                          X