Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's everyone's "Go-To" White Perch Lure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmberjackYakin View Post
    Thanks, I'll check them out.
    Here's another supplier I use:

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/

I get my spinner hardware from them in addition to occasional fly tying items, especially threads.

Good luck. There's no shortage of suppliers. All those mentioned are well stocked and ship fast.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

My preferred white perch lure is a 1/16 to 1/8 inline spinner, with the treble swapped out to a single hook. I use RoosterTails as they have the hair tied to the shaft, so it remains when I change the hook.

I need to figure out how to tie that little tuft of hair, it is the only thing stopping me from being able to make my own spinners.
      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
        I need to figure out how to tie that little tuft of hair, it is the only thing stopping me from being able to make my own spinners.
        Look at using hackle or a "dubbing loop" there's lots of videos on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Or just tie a little bucktail or Crystal Flash to the single hook, and don't worry about the spinner body.

Comment

The hackle or hair is nice but I guarantee you that that your spinner will work with a bare hook.

That said, and as pointed out above, there are plenty of tying videos on-line. Just remember -- use 1/2 as much hair or feathers as you think you need. A little bit of trying materials goes a long way and actually makes a nicer looking lure.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

I do think they will work with a bare hook, but I like the little flash of hair. I bought some stuff to make up a few hair jigs for smallmouth, but I am currently still in the "fighting with the whip-finisher" phase of of learning to tie.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I do think they will work with a bare hook, but I like the little flash of hair. I bought some stuff to make up a few hair jigs for smallmouth, but I am currently still in the "fighting with the whip-finisher" phase of of learning to tie.
                There is a guy in here, Harry who works in the fly shop at bass pro every other Sunday. Catch up with him and he can help you out

Comment

Drew,

Ditch the whip finisher and learn how to do it with your fingers. There are plenty of sites on-line to help you. Frankly, I find a whip finisher more trouble to set up and use than doing it with my fingers. I certainly can finish a tie much quicker without the whip finisher.

Also, Brian is correct. Harry can show you how to use a small rubber collar to attach crystal flash or flashabou to a hook. Very simple and easier than using thread.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Don't sweat the whip finish, it isn't a necessity. Half a dozen half hitches and a drop of Sally Hansen works just as well.
                    Or make a half hitch tool out of a ball point pen bottom to make life easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Drew,

Ditch the whip finisher and learn how to do it with your fingers. There are plenty of sites on-line to help you. Frankly, I find a whip finisher more trouble to set up and use than doing it with my fingers. I certainly can finish a tie much quicker without the whip finisher.

Also, Brian is correct. Harry can show you how to use a small rubber collar to attach crystal flash or flashabou to a hook. Very simple and easier than using thread.
                      I am mostly keeping with it because it is maddening that I cannot get something so simple to work. No matter what I try I cannot get it to work and it is now a point of pride to get it to work for me. I did watch a few videos showing how to do it by hand and might give that a try but I am going to give the tool a few more tries.

In actual perch news, I went and walked the pond at Beverly Triton this morning to escape the wind. A week or three ago I had a great day there for large perch and wanted to see if I could repeat my luck. Sadly the perch were all very small, maybe the largest I got being in the 6-7" range. But, they were hitting so hard and fast that I was able to do a little lure testing.

A 1/8oz RT in Firetiger was the clear champ, getting a bump every cast and a hook up every other one. It was the most consistent catching I have ever done. I switched out to a different spinner, a yellow one with a inline-blade and the bite shut off instantly. After maybe 20 casts with only the occasional bump, I switched to a RT in yellow. It landed a few perch but nothing like the action before. Switching back to the Firetiger got them biting again with the same intensity. For maybe two hours I kept this up, swapping out for various small cranks and hardbaits, then going back to the Firetiger spinner. In every case it would pull fish out of the same spots that other lures failed on. I am becoming of the mind that "if it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use" might have some merit to it.
                      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Strike King Bitsy minnow crankbait and a 1/8 oz roadrunner jig with a grub in chart.

Comment

I am mostly keeping with it because it is maddening that I cannot get something so simple to work. No matter what I try I cannot get it to work and it is now a point of pride to get it to work for me. I did watch a few videos showing how to do it by hand and might give that a try but I am going to give the tool a few more tries.

In actual perch news, I went and walked the pond at Beverly Triton this morning to escape the wind. A week or three ago I had a great day there for large perch and wanted to see if I could repeat my luck. Sadly the perch were all very small, maybe the largest I got being in the 6-7" range. But, they were hitting so hard and fast that I was able to do a little lure testing.

A 1/8oz RT in Firetiger was the clear champ, getting a bump every cast and a hook up every other one. It was the most consistent catching I have ever done. I switched out to a different spinner, a yellow one with a inline-blade and the bite shut off instantly. After maybe 20 casts with only the occasional bump, I switched to a RT in yellow. It landed a few perch but nothing like the action before. Switching back to the Firetiger got them biting again with the same intensity. For maybe two hours I kept this up, swapping out for various small cranks and hardbaits, then going back to the Firetiger spinner. In every case it would pull fish out of the same spots that other lures failed on. I am becoming of the mind that "if it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use" might have some merit to it.
                          Drew, think we met yesterday at BTB. You were throwing your modified Rooster. I continued down the path, but only caught a couple more WP.

John Rentch
                          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
                            Drew, think we met yesterday at BTB. You were throwing your modified Rooster. I continued down the path, but only caught a couple more WP.

I believe we did, nice to meet you!

I really want to drag my yak down to that pond, there are clearly numbers of large perch in there. There are also some very large carp, based on this skull I found there last month;

I think it could be a fun day, but thus far I have been too lazy to do the drag.
                            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Bill Lewis tiny trap is my go to perch lure and occasionally will also land some small rock and pickerel. Mash the barbs for quick release. Also like the super roosters, better than the inline version. I picked up some perch pounders last fall at anglers but have yet to use. I suspect they'll do the trick.

Zach
                              Annapolis, MD
                              Rudow's FishTalk Magazine
                              Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5
                              Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13
                              Old Town Topwater PDL 106
                              Native Watercraft Redfish 10

Comment

This thread topic got longer than I expected and a lot of helpful suggestions.

Thanks Everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X