Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's everyone's "Go-To" White Perch Lure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
    I like beetle spins and roadrunners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beetle spins and roadrunners were the first lures I used when I started White Perch fishing, I moved away from them because I kept getting more of the smaller range perch than larger.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
      [Mini chatterbait....though I replace the minnow with a pearl grub

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
      Never thought of using a mini chatterbait, I'm going try this out this upcoming weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
        I like using silver blue kastmasters around docks and weeds.
        I have some kastmasters in different sizes, normally use them for bluefish when I know they're around.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
          The fact that they are plentiful, fight well for their size, and tasty doesn't hurt either!
          Exactly my thought!

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            I used to make custom surf rods and an occasional "popping rod" in Virginia Beach on special orders...after buying the blanks, reel seats, cork for making the handles, thread, guides, epoxy, and the machines you build to make rods, wrapping guides...you rarely break even if you value your time at minimum wage...I liked the solitude, satisfaction of creation of a special rod that was unavailable to the general public, and a certain amount of ego...out grew the ego issues and learned some degree of humility and work got the better of my free time to the point I finally gave up on rod building and sold my equipment...hats off to all those who continued to build rods and pour custom lures- lots of patience, self discipline and love of craft...but not much of a financial reward...
            As you mentioned, love of the craft is what I get from making small to large trolling flies. Growing up in Italy, my uncle taught me the craft of making trolling flies for Amberjacks, Tunas, Spanish Mackeral, Barracudas, and for Imperial Needlefish. As I grew up I perfected the trolling flies to closely resemble baitfish, this was my love of the craft, getting that perfection in. I've never utilized trolling flies here in the U.S. and haven't really seen many people using them before, but I'm sure for Striped Bass they would work. Only problem I do remember in Italy is those pesky bluefish, which I've experienced here on plastic lures. Just thinking about this I might take on making trolling flies this summer to see how they work.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberjackYakin View Post
              As you mentioned, love of the craft is what I get from making small to large trolling flies. Growing up in Italy, my uncle taught me the craft of making trolling flies for Amberjacks, Tunas, Spanish Mackeral, Barracudas, and for Imperial Needlefish. As I grew up I perfected the trolling flies to closely resemble baitfish, this was my love of the craft, getting that perfection in. I've never utilized trolling flies here in the U.S. and haven't really seen many people using them before, but I'm sure for Striped Bass they would work. Only problem I do remember in Italy is those pesky bluefish, which I've experienced here on plastic lures. Just thinking about this I might take on making trolling flies this summer to see how they work.
              That's a good story. Yes, blues, pickerels and even repeated catches of toothless fish can wreck a fly or lure. The good news is that home-ties are expendable.

I keep a pan near my tying bench and that's where my "dead" flies and lures go.

P1020637.jpg

Some will be resurrected from the pan to fish again. Some of the jigs will be repainted or re-melted. And some are beyond repair.

I'll save the lead eyes and possibly the hook from this well-used Clouser Minnow:

P1020638.jpg

And a new Clouser will be born.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Never thought of using a mini chatterbait, I'm going try this out this upcoming weekend.
                It is a killer....I also like using it with a small gulp minnow in chartreuse and white .....just about as productive as pearl grub and surprisingly more durable

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  That's a good story. Yes, blues, pickerels and even repeated catches of toothless fish can wreck a fly or lure. The good news is that home-ties are expendable.

I keep a pan near my tying bench and that's where my "dead" flies and lures go.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21302[/ATTACH]

Some will be resurrected from the pan to fish again. Some of the jigs will be repainted or re-melted. And some are beyond repair.

I'll save the lead eyes and possibly the hook from this well-used Clouser Minnow:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21303[/ATTACH]

And a new Clouser will be born.
                  Great system you have there, do you know of any good sites to order material(preferably bulk) for flies at good cost? I've found some at my local Gander Mountain, but their kind of limited on material and too expensive.

Comment

Great system you have there, do you know of any good sites to order material(preferably bulk) for flies at good cost? I've found some at my local Gander Mountain, but their kind of limited on material and too expensive.
                    Try these:

http://hookhack.com/

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/

Both are good for feathers, hooks, tools and miscellaneous supplies.

But for bucktails I go to Bass Pro or other stores where I can see them in person before I buy them. I like a soft textured bucktails and I like to see the actual colors.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I am surprised no one mentioned the old tony accetta spoon in size 13 or 14. I always have a second rod rigged with a jig head and either gulp or plastic but tony's are my favorite. Here is a list of fish that I can remember catching on tony's. white perch, yellow perch, crappie, walleye, pickerel, northern pike, channel cats, rainbow trout, smallmouth, large mouth, hickory shad, blue gills, spot, croaker, blue fish, red fish, spotted sea trout, grey sea trout, lizard fish, flounder, grouper, rock fish, snook, grey snapper, pompano, jack and had a tarpon hit one in February though I failed to hook it. I was out this morning, here is my Tony catch of the day. flats striper.jpg

Comment

eBay has always had some decent prices.
                        If you are near Baltimore, Tochterman's on Eastern Ave. has a real nice fly shop upstairs.

Barlow's has some tying supplies, and JStockard, as Mark mentions is quite good.

Comment

I should have mentioned that I don't usually use tony's in water deeper than 6 feet or so.

Comment

Perch pounder rigs from Anglers. Basically a nicer beatle spin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                              eBay has always had some decent prices.
                              If you are near Baltimore, Tochterman's on Eastern Ave. has a real nice fly shop upstairs.

Barlow's has some tying supplies, and JStockard, as Mark mentions is quite good.
                              Thanks, I'll check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                                Try these:

http://hookhack.com/

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/

Both are good for feathers, hooks, tools and miscellaneous supplies.

But for bucktails I go to Bass Pro or other stores where I can see them in person before I buy them. I like a soft textured bucktails and I like to see the actual colors.
                                Thanks, I'll check them out.

Comment

Working...
                                X