Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's everyone's "Go-To" White Perch Lure?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"

12' Orange Malibu II "the Gift Horse"

These two variations of the Do-it mold #3288 Crappie Spinner jig have been my go-to tidal creek variations. I use them for my personal fishing about 95% of the time for WP.

I still have a batch left from the Flea Market.........

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

If we want to get some seriously huge perch for our clients in the charter boat, we use pieces of soft crab on a small fish finder rig, with about a 2/0 hook and hit the pilings of the Bay Bridge, and the sunken bridge on the Severn. But you've gotta be ready for some large surprise by-catch...........

My favorite WP lire is Mark's and your spinners. Both have been very successful for me.
    John
    Annapolis
    Native Slayer Propel 10, Native Ultimate 12

Stu's Bignose spinners definitely catch perch. I use that rig on nearly all of my perching trips. It also fools stripers and pickerel.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

I like using silver blue kastmasters around docks and weeds.
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Well, it's clear from the variety of lures named above that flash, vibration and movement attract white perch. The fact that they'll also bite worms on a bottom rig make them just about the most perfect fish there is for anglers. Obviously, they live to be caught.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

The fact that they are plentiful, fight well for their size, and tasty doesn't hurt either!

#3 Mepps spinner and a small Rapala original minnow in fire tiger- killer White Perch lures
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Quote Originally Posted by bignose View Post
    These two variations of the Do-it mold #3288 Crappie Spinner jig have been my go-to tidal creek variations. I use them for my personal fishing about 95% of the time for WP.

I still have a batch left from the Flea Market.........

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

If we want to get some seriously huge perch for our clients in the charter boat, we use pieces of soft crab on a small fish finder rig, with about a 2/0 hook and hit the pilings of the Bay Bridge, and the sunken bridge on the Severn. But you've gotta be ready for some large surprise by-catch...........
    I was just looking at the Do-It molds so I can start using salt worthy hooks. About how many jigs do you have to mkae to really make your money back? Is it worth the effort?
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Make my money back?
    Bwaahaaaaa!
    C'mon, man!
    I produce 200-300 lures per year. I sell enough of them to break even, maybe.

My goal is to always price them cheaply enough that a 12 year old kid can afford a few.
    For most of us, they are semi-disposable lures. If one lasts a season, it's earned it's place in the "Hall of Fame."

It is a retirement hobby, not a source of income.
    For about $1.75, you can get a commercially made model at Bass Pro that will catch fish, but aren't color selected to what I think is the best color combinations learned by several years of experimentation.

BTW, the hook recommended by Do-it is not very corrosion resistant. I always recommend rinsing the lure off at the end of the day.
    There is a stainless hook that will fit, but it doesn't fit perfectly, the casting will have some web/flashing around them that needs to be cleaned off before you paint them.

But by the time the standard hook would rust up, the swivel would be shot, the blades rusted or tarnished, and the the skirts worn off. (And even with the skirt reduced to shreds, they still catch fish!)

See my post several months ago about "reviving old faithful" to see how I recycled a spinner jig. (12/22/16) about 5 pages back on the Tackle Shop thread........

IMG_0101.jpg
    Last edited by bignose; 04-19-2017 at 10:19 PM.