Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fisherman's Island Reds

Hi All,
    New to the forum, new to Kayak fishing, but definetly not to fishing in general. Finally, after reading everyone reports and being complelty jealous, I broke down. I pick up my new Outback Monday.

I recently got back from a bachelor pary in New Orleans and as part of the trip we traveled an hour south of the city into the Bayou (Swamp People anyone?) to catch some reds. Needless to say, I'm addicted. We crushed em. We then traveled to Bourbon street to try and catch some red (heads)...but they cost a lot more money

So here is what I am asking. Does anyone know if it is too early to target these guys around the shores of Fisherman's Island? I have seen through various sources that they are there late in the summer through October and am wondering if I should hold up a few weeks before I make the drive? Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

I think the are around in the spring and fall ........ check w/kayakkevin

Comment

welcome, i know they are in the surf by mid sept through late oct. so i would think they would be at FI end of aug/early sept. like MM said check with Kevin

Comment

Welcome! Great bunch here and a lot of info. Check out the meet & greet stickys on the main forum.

BTW, love New Orleans. Lived there for 18 months and yes, did some fishing for reds & specs. Outstanding. Great comment about the Bourbon St reds! LOL!

Comment

........We then traveled to Bourbon street to try and catch some red (heads)...but they cost a lot more money. ..........

Yeah but the price includes all the crabs you can eat ..........

Comment

I may be heading down to fisherman island here again in a few weeks with another mkf member. Last time we went we camped at kiptopeake. We have heard good reports of cobra and some reds in latimere shoal and near the cynthia high rise.
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
              I may be heading down to fisherman island here again in a few weeks with another mkf member. Last time we went we camped at kiptopeake. We have heard good reports of cobra and some reds in latimere shoal and near the cynthia high rise.
              COBRA!! lol haha Watch out for the fangs ha

Comment

MM....I think you are on to something because a few of those ladies had more than their morals to be questioned. We steered clear of those.

Pinch....I just picked up a copy of the Coastal Fisherman and they were reporting the same thing. I dont know when you are heading down, but I have a semi-set date of 8/27th-28th. I am familiar with the latimere shoals, but not cynthia's high rise. Where is this?...I am assuming close.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I think he meant the Highrise which it right by Latimer .........

Besides ....... I want to see the video of Pinch wrestling a 50 lb Cobia in that skinny Yak with those 5mph currents (cause I don't think ya wanna stay anchored with a Cobia on the line) ............ Now that would definitely be entertaining .......... Just don't forget the net ......... A BIGGG Net !!!!!!

Oh ...... and since most Cobia in that area are chummed up .......... THe video of the sharks and rays circling that yummy Yak covered in chum and menhadden oil ........ Ummm Ummmm good !!!!!!
                  Last edited by Memory Maker; 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I'll be back home then and could make a trip down there in the next couple weeks. My best availability with classes 2 days a week will be on Mondays (travel sunday evening and fish all monday).

I want to catch anything new, spades, sheeps, cobia, reds. anything really..

Comment

Cobia? I was really talking about the rare CBBT Water Cobra's...they're...Vicious...lol. I really need to proof read my posts. Latimere shoals is just south west of kiptopeake and the highrise span is the part of the cbbt on the southside of fisherman's island. I have been dreaming of chumming up sharks on the yak, I think josh and Matt are crazy enough to do it with me, lol.
                      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Definitely in for that.

Comment

Working...
                        X