I've gone to the rectangular hatch side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've gone to the rectangular hatch side

I made the leap, cut into my Hobie outback and replaced the round hatch with the rectangular hatch, loving it so far, but haven't had it out on the water yet, but I can't imagine that will change my mind.
    rectangular hatch.jpg
    Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

You will love it. Silasviruse recommend the basket to me and I could not be happier.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

What's the benefit over the 6-8" round hatch? I'm out of things to do to my yak!
      Native Titan Propel 12
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
      Mercury 6hp
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
      Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Originally posted by FishingGeek View Post
        I made the leap, cut into my Hobie outback and replaced the round hatch with the rectangular hatch, loving it so far, but haven't had it out on the water yet, but I can't imagine that will change my mind.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]21252[/ATTACH]
        Nice job! I'm curious to hear if you have any leaks once you get it on the water. I've considered doing this same modification many times before, but always demurred because of the anxiety that comes with cutting holes into one's kayak :-)
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

You will love it. Did mine over 2 years ago. No issues with leaks.

Comment

I've done it to my last two Outbacks. No leak issues whatsoever. The increased tackle storage has allowed me to do away with the milk crate all together. I keep two plano boxes inside the square hatch and two more (if needed) under the seat; which I keep in the high position. This leaves the rear tank well area free to place a small cooler, catch bag, anchor and line, or anything else I may need. Some guys also go with the deeper gear bucker instead of the tackle trays. I believe there are some DIY tackle storage videos available that show them separating the large bucket into compartments for various items.

It's an upgrade I honestly do not think I could go without at this point.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I also could not see myself going without it. I got the deep gear bucket after a friend recommended it. Prior to that I would stick a tackle bag and 1 or 2 large planos in there. Gear bucket works out much better for me.

Comment

I store most of my gear in the hatch, the larger rectangular hatch will give me better access to the things I store below.
                Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                  I've done it to my last two Outbacks. No leak issues whatsoever. The increased tackle storage has allowed me to do away with the milk crate all together. I keep two plano boxes inside the square hatch and two more (if needed) under the seat; which I keep in the high position. This leaves the rear tank well area free to place a small cooler, catch bag, anchor and line, or anything else I may need. Some guys also go with the deeper gear bucker instead of the tackle trays. I believe there are some DIY tackle storage videos available that show them separating the large bucket into compartments for various items.

It's an upgrade I honestly do not think I could go without at this point.
                  Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                  You will love it. Did mine over 2 years ago. No issues with leaks.
                  Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was wondering - "If I were to go to a rectangular hatch, would I be able to leave the milk crate at home or use it for other must-have items?" It seems that's what you guys have done. I'm a minimalist when it comes to tackle. I'd rather have lines in the water then spend time re-tying and changing out lures. I have over the years reduced the amount of tackle I carry considerably and I'm down to the absolute bare minimums. Keeping the one or two small tackle boxes I do bring along below deck would allow me to keep extra layers of clothing, a lunch cooler, first aid kit etc... in the now empty milk crate.
                  -manny

Hobie Outback
                  Wilderness Systems 130T
                  Hobie Outfitter

Comment

having a PA with the rectangular hatch, i've already made the upgrade from the double-plano to the rectangular bucket. i'm more of a 'bring the kitchen sink' type of fisherman, and this allows me to clear the deck of misc non-essential items, and give me much needed sanity. for under $20 i think the rectangular bucket is well worth the upgrade, and i believe you can stack 3 (instead of the aforementioned 2) plano boxes vertically, if you're an organized person.
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Anyone installed their hatch side ways? Someone recommended it to me since your legs won't get in the way.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 3.02.20 PM.jpg
                      2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I thought about it, but didn't think I had enough room front and back to do it.
                        Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

I'm getting Backyard Boats to install the hatch and the person said, many people like the side way hatch placement. I guess there is enough space for it. I'm not very handy so I'm getting it professionally done, especially if you make a mistake, you probably have to replace the entire hull.
                          2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                          X