Mirage Drive & Duct tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirage Drive & Duct tape

For you Hobie guys, do any of you "duct tape" the front of your Mirage drive Fins?? I was reading on another forum where some guys do it to, protect and relieve the stress on the front part of the fin. Has anyone ever heard of this and/or done it??
    2017 Hobie PA14

I do not. The fins are fairly thick on the front edge already.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'm fishing an area that is rough, & just bought new 180 drive, I think it's a great idea.
      Red 2015 Hobie Outback
      Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

They only do the front edge of the drive. Basically one 2" piece all the way down the front. It makes sense I just didn't know if it was something that all Hobie people did.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

If duct tape would have prevented the support rod from bending when I smacked an underwater tree a couple years ago I'd do it. I do not have it on and would be curious what impact it has on performance. Even a small amount of tape on the leading edge could have an adverse, albeit maybe not noticeable, impact.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            If duct tape would have prevented the support rod from bending when I smacked an underwater tree a couple years ago I'd do it. I do not have it on and would be curious what impact it has on performance. Even a small amount of tape on the leading edge could have an adverse, albeit maybe not noticeable, impact.
            That was my initial impression...an adverse impact on waterflow over the fins. Perhaps it would be negligible.

I am heading into fifth year with a Mirage Drive.

I hit a concrete block in Goodhands Creek at full speed and slightly bent my shafts. The block is oddly placed on the first point to your left as you leave the launch area. You can barely see it at low tide. It is completely submerged at high tide. My drive still functioned even though it was bent and the collision caused no tears in the fins. Tape would not have prevented that damage.

Only once have I torn a fin. That was in Wye Mills where I hit a stump. In that instance the bottom of the shaft poked through the fin. I removed the fin on the water and realigned it and continued fishing. I replaced the fin later. In that case, the tear was from the inside of the fin out -- the rod pushed through the fin. Tape may have helped, but I doubt it.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'm fishing & crabbing mussel beds & have seen a great deal of rash on both fins. That is the sole reason for why I'd add tape. Kayak already has tape & I'm pleased with results there & it has helped.
              Red 2015 Hobie Outback
              Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Most people have duct tape laying around, so adding the tape costs $0

Replacement GT fins are only about $75/pair including rods, more than economical for me personally.
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I bought some lexan sheets .02 thick made an aluminum mold and with a heat gun made a shell that i glued to the front of the fins using shoe goo. Going on my 4th season this year with the same fins on the rivers, upper potomac and susky. The Lexan has been holding up well. When im not on the rivers i just switch the fins out.

Before i have made these guards a set of fins would last me a weekend during a summer flow. I have torn fins completely off while on the rivers. While they are meaty they are also a softer type of rubber that tears easily agianst rocks
                  Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                  -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                  -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
                  X