Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellow braid line

Quote Originally Posted by bignose View Post
    ...I have seen Bluegills spook from fly line flash...
    Good term, Stu.

I knew there was a better way to say it than I did.

I think lots of shallow water fish are keyed on movement from above because often that "flash" is a bird of prey with talons or a beak ready for action.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

The rods I troll are loaded one with red and one with yellow power pro. I've never noticed a difference in the success rate between the two colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike

The yellow braid is more visible than green while fishing. I have three reels with yellow braid no problems seeing the lines while fishing

I use bright yellow, bright orange, red, green and a multi color braided. Grey is 12 LB test. Bright orange on a 2500 size reel mean the braided is 15 LB test. The green color on a 2500 size reel means the braided is 20 LB test. Multi color and bright yellow are 50 LB test. I prefer bright color because I can see the thin braided with bright color better without wearing reading glass. So I pick the line colors for me, not for fish. I also use a swivel to connect leader to a lure all ways for speedy lure changes. To me, all species I caught didn't care about line color, 3 treble hooks on a lure, rigs made of metal wire and blades, and the swivel. I think selecting the right lure and executing the right presentation of the right lure is the key.

I use at least a foot long mono leader for abrasion resistance and to land fish by grabbing leader without a net.

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-19-2017 at 09:13 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

I use yellow braid on most of my rods. I also use a flouocarbon leader about 18". I would not use yellow or green or any other color without a leader. There was a day on the bay when the water was very clear. My 2 friends and I were using the same exact lure. My one buddy was using green braid tied directly to the lure. My other buddy was using green braid with a leader. I was using 6 lb. nanofil. My buddy with the leader was catching nice fish and we weren't. My buddy switched rods with my other buddy and then he was the one catching fish. I finally got a nice fish just before dark when my line was probably harder to see. The only difference was the leader.

I also use a leader for abrasion resistance.