Yellow braid line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow braid line

Folks, I recently acquired a new reel from eBay and when I got it the two spools were already loaded with braided line - one green and the other yellow. I tried the yellow line and was wondering if it was visible to the fish and whether I needed to use it with a leader. Any experience or opinions to share?

I bought two Shimano reels from my friend and they had new yellow braid on them. Jerry swears by it but he fishes the bay. I used it on the Susquehanna and the water was quite clear. I used a 7 foot 10 pound fluoro leader and couldnt buy a bite. I caught fish on the outfit that had moss green on it all day. I switched out to all green but again, Jerry swears by the yellow on the bay. That is my 2cents and my opinion is probably worth less.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

When braided line first came into the consumer market, I purchased some in olive green or black, with the assumption that fish would be less likely to see it. Several guides that I use told me I would do better to have a bright color braid so I can easily watch the line as it enters the water. Since then I buy only the yellow line (PowerPro). I always fish it with a mono or fluorocarbon leader. My guide in Florida, where the water is much clearer, spools with bright blue braid (he has TufLine as a sponsor) and adds fluorocarbon leaders.

If you do not use a leader and tie directly to the lure, a less obvious color may be a better choice for you.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I use Yellow braid on all my reels for the past two years. NO Leaders. I catch fish just fine, have never seen any issues with visibility. I think those jokers just want those darns lures

Yak67

2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Most fish don't care most of the time. They're chasing the lure/bait.. Albies and a few other Pelagics might care some of the time.

I've used red, green, black, yellow, orange and multicolored metered braid. No blue yet. Every color works but I use mono or Fluoro leaders mostly to make landing easier.

Comment

I have reels spun with red, green, gray and yellow braid. I use mono or fluorocarbon leaders on each. I have never noticed that a particular line color inhibited or enhanced hookups of tidal or fresh water fish. I don't believe most warm water species are line or leader shy. They're just aggressive.

Consider also sinking or intermediate fly lines. Some of the intermediate lines are brightly colored. Sinking lines are often dark. And both kinds are far thicker than than braids. Neither inhibit fish from striking.

However, I have heard the theory that snakeheads are wary of false casts of fly line zipping over their haunts and may not strike as a result.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

LTJ swears by yellow sufix 832 for striped bass.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I have converted most of my reels to fluorescent neon orange Sufix Braid. You aren't going to find a brighter line!
                I use a 3-6 foot mono leader, and I have not seen a change in what I catch.
                It makes strikes infinitely more detectable!

I converted all of the rods on the charter boat to fluorescent green or orange mono because it is easier to untangle (braid lines are miserable when they cross). LOL
                Made no difference, rock and perch could care less.

The vast majority of fish are not leader shy....Spanish Mackerel and Brown Trout not withstanding. (Of course with Brown Trout, you are using itty, bitty tiny flies so you can't tie them to the fly line with a hawser!)

I have seen Bluegills spook from fly line flash.

But fish are pretty stupid. They don't know what leaders are! They focus on the lure.
                Last edited by bignose; 04-17-2017, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I use yellow braid.....only had thing is baby bluefish eat it when I'm in breakers. ......never have severed it but I've had damage

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Hay all . I fish the march and creeks . I am changing up my reels to yellow braid with floro leader . I have started using the FG not for braid to floro . It has worked better than any other knot that I have tried ( not with GLISS ) .I find it very helpful seeing my line . Good fishing to all .

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                      ...I have seen Bluegills spook from fly line flash...
                      Good term, Stu.

I knew there was a better way to say it than I did.

I think lots of shallow water fish are keyed on movement from above because often that "flash" is a bird of prey with talons or a beak ready for action.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The rods I troll are loaded one with red and one with yellow power pro. I've never noticed a difference in the success rate between the two colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Mike

Comment

The yellow braid is more visible than green while fishing. I have three reels with yellow braid no problems seeing the lines while fishing

Comment

I use bright yellow, bright orange, red, green and a multi color braided. Grey is 12 LB test. Bright orange on a 2500 size reel mean the braided is 15 LB test. The green color on a 2500 size reel means the braided is 20 LB test. Multi color and bright yellow are 50 LB test. I prefer bright color because I can see the thin braided with bright color better without wearing reading glass. So I pick the line colors for me, not for fish. I also use a swivel to connect leader to a lure all ways for speedy lure changes. To me, all species I caught didn't care about line color, 3 treble hooks on a lure, rigs made of metal wire and blades, and the swivel. I think selecting the right lure and executing the right presentation of the right lure is the key.

I use at least a foot long mono leader for abrasion resistance and to land fish by grabbing leader without a net.

Joe
                            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-19-2017, 09:13 PM.
                            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I use yellow braid on most of my rods. I also use a flouocarbon leader about 18". I would not use yellow or green or any other color without a leader. There was a day on the bay when the water was very clear. My 2 friends and I were using the same exact lure. My one buddy was using green braid tied directly to the lure. My other buddy was using green braid with a leader. I was using 6 lb. nanofil. My buddy with the leader was catching nice fish and we weren't. My buddy switched rods with my other buddy and then he was the one catching fish. I finally got a nice fish just before dark when my line was probably harder to see. The only difference was the leader.

Comment

Working...
                              X