• Show
Clear All

Red Hobie outback
    Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

In for fishing. Thx!

Comment

I am in tentatively, But I ll need to launch from Tydings.

Ed

Comment

what's the recommended lures for this trip?

also, are most headed out to open water, or mill creek / furnace bay?
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post

I've never been there so I will try to get smart on the area to see what I should be targeting and where.
            Gregory
            ​Ain't Misbehavin'
            2014 Pro Angler 12
            '

Comment

Long drive for me, but it is on my list of places I want to fish...hard to leave the "lower slower" during the peak of our Spring season, but...that is two "buts" so tentatively I am in...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Got the day off so in for both.

Comment

The launch is into furness bay. The flats are open water but range from only inches to a few feet deep.
                  The deeper water are the boat channels around the flats.
                  Fish like the edges of the channels and the edges of the weed beds out on the flats
                  I have found most people use paddle tail lures on a lead head.
                  Second most popular are the minnow body lipped crank baits.
                  Third are the spinner baits and rattle traps

Red Hobie outback
                  Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    Long drive for me, but it is on my list of places I want to fish...hard to leave the "lower slower" during the peak of our Spring season, but...that is two "buts" so tentatively I am in...
                    I hear you. But that new outback wants to travel
                    Red Hobie outback
                    Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Fishing Yes Lunch No - Do we need any parking permits for the park?
                      Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic Boat View Post
                        The launch is into furness bay. The flats are open water but range from only inches to a few feet deep.
                        The deeper water are the boat channels around the flats.
                        Fish like the edges of the channels and the edges of the weed beds out on the flats
                        I have found most people use paddle tail lures on a lead head.
                        Second most popular are the minnow body lipped crank baits.
                        Third are the spinner baits and rattle traps
                        What is the preferred presentation for fishing here? trolling or casting?

Comment

Originally posted by BarefootPetr View Post
                          What is the preferred presentation for fishing here? trolling or casting?
                          It's going to depend on the weeds, which should be pretty thick by then. At some point in the season trolling becomes difficult because of constantly needing to clear debris.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                            It's going to depend on the weeds, which should be pretty thick by then. At some point in the season trolling becomes difficult because of constantly needing to clear debris.
                            I that case mark me as in for fishing and lunch. I have a paddle kayak so I prefer casting

Comment

Paddle tails, Umbrella rigs, what ever you use for stripers, for use on the flats and the channels off stump point. Any type of your favorite large/small mouth bass rigs for mill creek and furnace bay. The channel that runs beside Perry point park and the VA hospital can be good fishing but it's a narrow channel and all sorts of boats haul ass through there on the weekends.

" Do we need any parking permits for the park? "

No parking permit is required for the park. It opens at this time of year around 7:30am. The launch is a cement side walk going onto pebble stone beach. There is about a 12" drop off from the cement to the beach, dependent on the tides. if high the water will be right up to the cement. There should be fairly clean grass areas in mill creek and furnace bay how much they interfere will be again dependent on the tides. It wont be hot enough yet for the algea so the bass fishing can be pretty good this time of year.
                              Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 05-03-2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Im in for a flats trip, but what are the details? I can you repost?

thanks!
                                matt

Comment

Working...
                                X