Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surprise fish

Carp fishing is where I learned about drag settings. My grandfather used to take us and set us up for carp while he fished for rock bass. Being a smart a$$ 10yr old, I figured why should I take forever to land these fish and let them peel off drag. All I need to do is tighten the drag down all the way and land them in no time.

First hookup after my genius idea and >PING< goes the line. Cue lightbulb illuminating over my head.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna

One of my friends lost a rod/reel combo in liberty reservoir while shore fishing for carp. He had tightened the drag a little too much while it was just sitting there, waiting for a strike. He was far away from it when it hit, and it started bouncing along the ground towards the water. He told them to, but the girls he was with refused to grab it because it scared them, and in it went. Never to be seen again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kevinfry View Post
    Bignose, you don't have to be reborn.....you can just identify as carp-fisherman
    Y'know, the funny thing is, as I get older and somewhat more limited physically, the thought of bringing a folding chair, a couple of rods and holders, and a can of corn to my local community ponds, (that are fun of carp) may not be worst thing to look forward too. Just put a couple of bells on the lines so not to let my fishing interfere with my "meditation."

Quote Originally Posted by bignose View Post
    Y'know, the funny thing is, as I get older and somewhat more limited physically, the thought of bringing a folding chair, a couple of rods and holders, and a can of corn to my local community ponds, (that are fun of carp) may not be worst thing to look forward too. Just put a couple of bells on the lines so not to let my fishing interfere with my "meditation."
    I've found I get way more reading some when I use bare hooks.....no distractions

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"

12' Orange Malibu II "the Gift Horse"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I went through darned near every color and form of fly I carried and I could not interest those carp at all. I literally dragged flies within inches of their noses and they would not bite. I'm impressed when anyone hooks one!
    There are some monster carp in the C&O and I have had a similar experience, throwing every lure I had at them, then even trying everything within arms reach that I could get to stay on the hook. I even hit one in the nose with a dough ball made from a Powerbar and it didn't even react.

However, it looks like something managed to catch these two;
    https://s12.postimg.org/qw0sg53yl/20...7_18.19.50.jpg

Found them at BT this afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Quote Originally Posted by Backdoc View Post
    I agree. I posted the picture on Fishing Maryland FB page and got ridiculed for catching a filthy carp. It was a great fight and a good catch for a first time kayak fisherman.
    That group is an absolute train wreck. The worst of the worst always seem to surface there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    People are idiots. Probably the same guys who have a 50k bass boat with a 250 outboard on the back because they need to do 60mph to get to their favorite bluegill hole on the other side of the river. We kayakers do it low and slow, and typically catch fish all the same.
    Exactly. I've caught over 50 stripers in 2017. Everyone that I know that solely fishes out of a power boat (5 guys) hasn't even approached that number. Also, I talk to the heavy tackle guys coming off the channel of the mid bay with spreads over 10 poles and at least half are skunked. Everyone that I talk to is shocked when they ask how deep the fish that I caught were and I shrug and say, "Meh, bout 12 feet." ;D

You're a yakker. You're the class of the sport fishing world. Catch your fish and don't listen to these idiots. There will be plenty of guys that will gape in awe at your kayak on shore like it was a 67 Mustang. Happened to me today.
    Trident Ultra 4.3
    Pompano 120
    Garmin Striker 4dv

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Exactly. I've caught over 50 stripers in 2017. Everyone that I know that solely fishes out of a power boat (5 guys) hasn't even approached that number. Also, I talk to the heavy tackle guys coming off the channel of the mid bay with spreads over 10 poles and at least half are skunked. Everyone that I talk to is shocked when they ask how deep the fish that I caught were and I shrug and say, "Meh, bout 12 feet." ;D

You're a yakker. You're the class of the sport fishing world. Catch your fish and don't listen to these idiots. There will be plenty of guys that will gape in awe at your kayak on shore like it was a 67 Mustang. Happened to me today.
    Yeah people always comment on my setup, I've taken a relatively Spartan fishing sit-in kayak, and outfitted it so it's fairly practical for the types of fishing I do. It doesn't really have any compartments, and the sit-in design calls for some extra stuff to be brought along (bailer and hand pump), so those factors combine to make it look a bit cluttered. I have been bringing less stuff lately, but I've still got some stuff to remove for sure. My milk crate in the back holds some extra rope, my dry bag, and I've got 2 rodholders on it as well. I will probably add 2 more in order to hold another rod (I prefer switching rods to tying on a different lure), and a landing net. I do see myself upgrading at some point in the not-too-distant future, I may use my summer birthday as an excuse for some downpayment money on a pedal yak....but in general, I've found that I catch way more fish from a kayak than I did from my jonboat (which was mostly freshwater), or on my parents bay cruiser. I think kayaking has made me a much better fisherman, and I maintain that it's saved me money in the long run, as I probably won't get a powerboat until wayyyy down the road, if at all. The only times I could see myself really using a powerboat would be some long mid-bay trips, or maybe some offshore trips out of OC or NC, but those times may amount to 5-7x at most per year. I probably take my kayak out 50+ times per year at this point, so it doesn't make sense to get anything else. Also, how do you like your garmin striker 4dv? I was looking at that unit but I saw a sale on the elite 4hdi for $150, so I got that instead, and so far I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    Yeah people always comment on my setup, I've taken a relatively Spartan fishing sit-in kayak, and outfitted it so it's fairly practical for the types of fishing I do. It doesn't really have any compartments, and the sit-in design calls for some extra stuff to be brought along (bailer and hand pump), so those factors combine to make it look a bit cluttered. I have been bringing less stuff lately, but I've still got some stuff to remove for sure. My milk crate in the back holds some extra rope, my dry bag, and I've got 2 rodholders on it as well. I will probably add 2 more in order to hold another rod (I prefer switching rods to tying on a different lure), and a landing net. I do see myself upgrading at some point in the not-too-distant future, I may use my summer birthday as an excuse for some downpayment money on a pedal yak....but in general, I've found that I catch way more fish from a kayak than I did from my jonboat (which was mostly freshwater), or on my parents bay cruiser. I think kayaking has made me a much better fisherman, and I maintain that it's saved me money in the long run, as I probably won't get a powerboat until wayyyy down the road, if at all. The only times I could see myself really using a powerboat would be some long mid-bay trips, or maybe some offshore trips out of OC or NC, but those times may amount to 5-7x at most per year. I probably take my kayak out 50+ times per year at this point, so it doesn't make sense to get anything else. Also, how do you like your garmin striker 4dv? I was looking at that unit but I saw a sale on the elite 4hdi for $150, so I got that instead, and so far I love it.
    I like it now that I've resolved the whole battery being secured in the kayak issue which had nothing to do with the Garmin. I mean, it marks fish, gives water temp, depth, and some pretty half assed GPS but it serves my purposes. The waypoint marking is useful.
    Trident Ultra 4.3
    Pompano 120
    Garmin Striker 4dv