Surprise fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
    I agree. I posted the picture on Fishing Maryland FB page and got ridiculed for catching a filthy carp. It was a great fight and a good catch for a first time kayak fisherman.
    That group is an absolute train wreck. The worst of the worst always seem to surface there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
      People are idiots. Probably the same guys who have a 50k bass boat with a 250 outboard on the back because they need to do 60mph to get to their favorite bluegill hole on the other side of the river. We kayakers do it low and slow, and typically catch fish all the same.
      Exactly. I've caught over 50 stripers in 2017. Everyone that I know that solely fishes out of a power boat (5 guys) hasn't even approached that number. Also, I talk to the heavy tackle guys coming off the channel of the mid bay with spreads over 10 poles and at least half are skunked. Everyone that I talk to is shocked when they ask how deep the fish that I caught were and I shrug and say, "Meh, bout 12 feet." ;D

You're a yakker. You're the class of the sport fishing world. Catch your fish and don't listen to these idiots. There will be plenty of guys that will gape in awe at your kayak on shore like it was a 67 Mustang. Happened to me today.
      Native Titan Propel 12
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
      Mercury 6hp
      Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg View Post
        Exactly. I've caught over 50 stripers in 2017. Everyone that I know that solely fishes out of a power boat (5 guys) hasn't even approached that number. Also, I talk to the heavy tackle guys coming off the channel of the mid bay with spreads over 10 poles and at least half are skunked. Everyone that I talk to is shocked when they ask how deep the fish that I caught were and I shrug and say, "Meh, bout 12 feet." ;D

You're a yakker. You're the class of the sport fishing world. Catch your fish and don't listen to these idiots. There will be plenty of guys that will gape in awe at your kayak on shore like it was a 67 Mustang. Happened to me today.
        Yeah people always comment on my setup, I've taken a relatively Spartan fishing sit-in kayak, and outfitted it so it's fairly practical for the types of fishing I do. It doesn't really have any compartments, and the sit-in design calls for some extra stuff to be brought along (bailer and hand pump), so those factors combine to make it look a bit cluttered. I have been bringing less stuff lately, but I've still got some stuff to remove for sure. My milk crate in the back holds some extra rope, my dry bag, and I've got 2 rodholders on it as well. I will probably add 2 more in order to hold another rod (I prefer switching rods to tying on a different lure), and a landing net. I do see myself upgrading at some point in the not-too-distant future, I may use my summer birthday as an excuse for some downpayment money on a pedal yak....but in general, I've found that I catch way more fish from a kayak than I did from my jonboat (which was mostly freshwater), or on my parents bay cruiser. I think kayaking has made me a much better fisherman, and I maintain that it's saved me money in the long run, as I probably won't get a powerboat until wayyyy down the road, if at all. The only times I could see myself really using a powerboat would be some long mid-bay trips, or maybe some offshore trips out of OC or NC, but those times may amount to 5-7x at most per year. I probably take my kayak out 50+ times per year at this point, so it doesn't make sense to get anything else. Also, how do you like your garmin striker 4dv? I was looking at that unit but I saw a sale on the elite 4hdi for $150, so I got that instead, and so far I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
          Yeah people always comment on my setup, I've taken a relatively Spartan fishing sit-in kayak, and outfitted it so it's fairly practical for the types of fishing I do. It doesn't really have any compartments, and the sit-in design calls for some extra stuff to be brought along (bailer and hand pump), so those factors combine to make it look a bit cluttered. I have been bringing less stuff lately, but I've still got some stuff to remove for sure. My milk crate in the back holds some extra rope, my dry bag, and I've got 2 rodholders on it as well. I will probably add 2 more in order to hold another rod (I prefer switching rods to tying on a different lure), and a landing net. I do see myself upgrading at some point in the not-too-distant future, I may use my summer birthday as an excuse for some downpayment money on a pedal yak....but in general, I've found that I catch way more fish from a kayak than I did from my jonboat (which was mostly freshwater), or on my parents bay cruiser. I think kayaking has made me a much better fisherman, and I maintain that it's saved me money in the long run, as I probably won't get a powerboat until wayyyy down the road, if at all. The only times I could see myself really using a powerboat would be some long mid-bay trips, or maybe some offshore trips out of OC or NC, but those times may amount to 5-7x at most per year. I probably take my kayak out 50+ times per year at this point, so it doesn't make sense to get anything else. Also, how do you like your garmin striker 4dv? I was looking at that unit but I saw a sale on the elite 4hdi for $150, so I got that instead, and so far I love it.
          I like it now that I've resolved the whole battery being secured in the kayak issue which had nothing to do with the Garmin. I mean, it marks fish, gives water temp, depth, and some pretty half assed GPS but it serves my purposes. The waypoint marking is useful.
          Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
          Mercury 6hp
          Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Working...
          X