Thread: The right paddle

Default The right paddle

I am trying to find a really good moderately priced paddle. Around the 100-150$ range. I have a Jackson Cuba and I'm pretty sure I am a low angle paddler. I currently have a 240 cm cannon and can't stand it. I just bought a bending branch sunrise but am not sure I am gonna like it either. I was looking at the bending branch slice and liked that it had a wider blade. My opinion is that all the angler paddles are way over priced and their shouldn't be much difference with the regular paddles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a lot of factors that can contribute to you not liking your paddle. Is it weight? Length? Materials? Maybe the wrong blade shape. Even with the cuda 12 being 31" wide a 240 should reach out there enough. I agree that angler paddles sell some features that really aren't needed. I choose aquabound paddles because of there touring performance at a competitive price. Usually they have paddles that are less money and weight a few ounces less the the competition. When I got what I would consider my first "real" paddle it was a aquabound eagle ray hybrid it was light weight, performed well and I just found them for around 130 on amazon. I would really look into this paddle. The only reason I got rid of mine is a found a amazing deal on a full carbon paddle I couldn't pass up. Here is a link. Hope it helps. https://www.amazon.com/AquaBound-Eag.../dp/B0079HM56Y

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Thanks for the help fishmoken. I had a nice paddle once before but then I sold my kayaks. Now I'm back kayaking and don't remember which paddle I had. I'm pretty sure it's the bugle of the paddle and also the width. 240 is plenty for getting in the water so I will probably stic with that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the same paddle since 2011, a touring Werner Camano Paddle. I found it at a great deal back then at $125, just checked and it's around $275 now.
    Positives: very lightweight, balanced, & adjustable.
    Negatives: Fiberglass blades(it's durable, but if you try to push or force yourself off a solid object it can crack).

Check out the Aquabound Stingray. It has a narrow touring style blade conducive to your low angle paddling style. We sell a ton of them. At $140, it is an excellent balance of weight and affordability.

The deeper blade on the slice is better for a more aggressive, high angle, power stroke - great for moving a heavy fishing kayak, but requires a different paddling style that can wear you out after a long day on the water.
    Bruce

Wilderness System, Thresher 155