Good size specks just arrived at Rudee- Apr 14 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good size specks just arrived at Rudee- Apr 14 Report

As expected, good size specks just arrived at Rudee, VA.
    But I didn’t do well as I prepared. I caught about 10 specks. Only one was 22 inch long while some kayakers caught specks at 23-26”. I captured some large specks caught by other yakers on the video.

When specks weren’t biting I fished for puppy drums. I caught about 10 puppy drums at 16-20”. I released three 18 inch puppy drum because they were very skinny. Also caught a 15" grey trout (weakfish) and 4 20" bluefish.

Now specks are in at Rudee in full force.

Fishing Log:

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

sounds like a great day

Comment

nice day fishing Joe
      I should have stopped by on Saturday
      Red Hobie outback
      Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic Boat View Post
        nice day fishing Joe
        I should have stopped by on Saturday
        Some informed me that they wee limited out on Puppy and Specks on the Saturday. Big specks finally showed up. They will be in and out randomly with tides.

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Thanks for the reports. A few of us MD Snaggedliners will be down there starting the 24 to the 30th.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
            Thanks for the reports. A few of us MD Snaggedliners will be down there starting the 24 to the 30th.
            I just got back from down there, I didn't get to fish any due to the winds.
            Tomorrow I am repacking for our week at Kiptopeake.
            Red Hobie outback
            Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,
              was the wind that bad? The wind must have been very strong. I remember there were times I cast only where the museum was, or trolled only because I couldn't cast even a mirrOlure.

Thanks for the report

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                I may try on Apr 24 depending on my work schedule.

I know you know these but just in case:
                • MirrOlure 52MR21 (or any crank bait similar to this size, depth and color) - for casting or trolling (especially when trolling) for Speck, Puppy Drum, Striper, and Bluefish
                • Jig head (1/8 - 3/16 OZ with with a large gap hook 2/0-3/0) - Casting and trolling. Red color jig head will be good for all fish. When fish are biting in 3 - 4' of water when casting.
                • Jig head (1/4 OZ with a large gap Hook 3/0) - Casting and trolling. Red color jig head will be good for all fish. When fish are biting in 5- 7' of water when casting
                • Jig head (1/2 OZ with a large gap Hook 3/0-4/0) - Casting and trolling. Red color jig head will be good for all fish. When fish are biting in 7- 12' of water when casting. You need this when you see large fish in 12-20' of water. Fish could be gator grey trout

Soft lures:
                • 4 " Chartreuse Gulp - For Puppy (especially when casting)
                • Any 3.5 - 5" Silver/pearl color swimming bait (all fish). Some like lure with brown body with chartreuse or pink tail

• Slow retrieval, bottom bouncing, twitching - No fast retrival
                • Move if you don't get a hit for 3-4 minutes
                • Stay when you catch small puppies until you get a keeper size.
                • Specks move. Stay with them. Predict where they are heading for. Two can split until one finds the specks again.
                • Look for any signs of fish.
                • Puppies don't move as often as specks. When specks aren't biting, cast for puppies

Joe
                Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-19-2017, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                  I may try on Apr 24 depending on my work schedule.

I know you know these but just in case:
                  • MirrOlure 52MR21 (or any crank bait similar to this size, depth and color) - for casting or trolling (especially when trolling) for Speck, Puppy Drum, Striper, and Bluefish
                  • Jig head (1/8 - 3/16 OZ with with a large gap hook 2/0-3/0) - Casting and trolling. Red color jig head will be good for all fish. When fish are biting in 3 - 4' of water when casting.
                  • Jig head (1/4 OZ with a large gap Hook 3/0) - Casting and trolling. Red color jig head will be good for all fish. When fish are biting in 5- 7' of water when casting
                  • Jig head (1/2 OZ with a large gap Hook 3/0-4/0) - Casting and trolling. Red color jig head will be good for all fish. When fish are biting in 7- 12' of water when casting. You need this when you see large fish in 12-20' of water. Fish could be gator grey trout

Soft lures:
                  • 4 " Chartreuse Gulp - For Puppy (especially when casting)
                  • Any 3.5 - 5" Silver/pearl color swimming bait (all fish). Some like lure with brown body with chartreuse or pink tail

• Slow retrieval, bottom bouncing, twitching - No fast retrival
                  • Move if you don't get a hit for 3-4 minutes
                  • Stay when you catch small puppies until you get a keeper size.
                  • Specks move. Stay with them. Predict where they are heading for. Two can split until one finds the specks again.
                  • Look for any signs of fish.
                  • Puppies don't move as often as specks. When specks aren't biting, cast for puppies

Joe
                  Are you doing Jbay this year Joe? You seem like you've got a wealth of knowledge, and if you're going, I would certainly like to pick your brain about speck fishing and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic Boat View Post
                    I just got back from down there, I didn't get to fish any due to the winds.
                    Tomorrow I am repacking for our week at Kiptopeake.
                    Yeah getting everything ready myself.. I'll probably head out around 2-4am on Monday. Going out up here on Friday, either Susky for shad if they're not running all the damn generators or the Flats if they are. Been a long 6 day work stretch.

Thanks for all the info Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                      Are you doing Jbay this year Joe? You seem like you've got a wealth of knowledge, and if you're going, I would certainly like to pick your brain about speck fishing and all that.
                      I tried J-bay last year. I cancelled the hotel registeration and forfeited the registeration fee because of emergency at work. I don't dare to try to register any event for the weekend because of the emergency coverage I am required to perform. For that I fish weekday often with one day notice.

I only know what to do in some water I used fish. I have the local knowledge for a few water.

Joe

Comment

LOL! I'm glad I watched your video. When you mentioned "specks" I was thinking crappie! That's what we call them in Michigan. I see now that you were talking about speckled trout. Nice video.
                        Gregory
                        ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                        2014 Pro Angler 12
                        '

Comment

Thanks for the info Joe.
                          I am headed to Kiptopeake in the morning
                          I think I will try rudee on Thursday or Friday this week.
                          Red Hobie outback
                          Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          X