• Show
Clear All

• Power to sonar not working

I have tried everything but swap out the power cables
    Brushed the connections
    Checked fuse
    Battery working
    Connections tight
    No power to fish finder, used for first time this year after being put away could I have corroded the lines? Looking for answers or if you had a similar situation.
    Thanks
    Rich

Originally posted by Bigbev67 View Post
    I have tried everything but swap out the power cables
    Brushed the connections
    Checked fuse
    Battery working
    Connections tight
    No power to fish finder, used for first time this year after being put away could I have corroded the lines? Looking for answers or if you had a similar situation.
    Thanks
    Rich
    do you have crimped connections? I had same problem, soldered the wire to connectors and have been good for a year now
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Find a friend who has the same cables and do a "Power Test" . This will at least confirm your power head is working. Then take your battery and hook it to their unit and this will test your battery out.

Then it will nail it down to the wires, the battery or Head Unit.

Yak67

2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

I had a similar issue as well and it turned out to be one of the connectors at the battery. If any of your connectors are non-marine grade or even cheap marine grade even if they look ok I would replace them with new ones. The are connectors are quick and easy to replace. I replace my battery connectors every spring since I had the issue.

If you have a multi meter you can check all the connections easily with it in resistance mode, and in DC mode put a small load on the battery and it should still read 11-12 volts. Make sure to pull and wiggle the wires while testing to see if it opens the circuit to show a loose connection.
        Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Like kevin said, I would first check your crimped connections if you have any. Also make sure your battery has juice.
          My friend had the same issue with his elite 4 and the problem happened to be the red power connector that goes to the fishfinder. If you look at the holes of the red power connector, there should be two connector holes that have a cobber tubing inside. One of his copper tubings mustve fallen out from corrosion. We decided to cut some copper wire and jam it into the hole and it fired right up. Make sure to use dielectric grease on your connections to reduce the amount of corrosion in the future.

Hope this helps.
          Michael
          2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
          Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

My Elite 4 didn't fire up this spring either. I saw power coming from the battery and into the power cable and thought I had a bad head. I hooked it up to Yak67's battery and it fired right up, both on his yak and mine. Although my battery was producing juice, there wasn't enough to fire the FF up. I use the battery sold by Austin kayak with the Hobie kit and it seems to only have a year in its life span. My guess would be your battery.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Most of the problems with short battery life is the wrong charger. If you use too hot of a charger they really fade. Sending an e-mail to one of the battery warehouses you can get the right one. I did that and the right charger was just $10 about

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Found the problem , fuse went bad. It looked fine but failed the multimeter test.
                Still rewired with fresh grease and butt end connectors and shrink wrap.
                Fired right up. Got an extra 3 amp on the kayak now just in case.
                Thanks agin for the help. And tight lines

Comment

Working...
                X