Pick-up truck rack question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick-up truck rack question

I throw the kayak in the bed of the pickup and sometimes use a bed extender. I'm planning a camping trip where I will need the bed of the truck, so I plan to reverse the bed extender that will hold the kayak high. Never done that before, and was considering whether I needed Hullyrollers or something to help me get it up there if I'm alone. Saw one internet photo where someone attached rollers with a u-bolt. Any ideas on an easy way to get it up there. It will happen very infrequently so I don't need permanent lifts or anything. Thanks.
    Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

I hardly ever remove my toolbox to throw the yak in the bed of my full-size truck.. Not sure what others do, but I've seen some clever contraptions. I just pick my outback up by the handles and press it up over my head onto my tracrac, slide it forward, foam blocks and straps. I did try some hullyrollers a while back, but they bent.
    Last edited by JohnE; 04-15-2017, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I had the bed extender but used it for the roof. I had a ladder cusion to keep the roof from damage. I modofied the extender to telescope up. I would have it in the load posotion which was lower, then once on the roof I would push the extender up to make the kayak level with roof. It worked. I recently added permanent roof rack. I have the modified extender and roof cushion if you want to use it. Text 4108120277, John
      John
      Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Originally posted by 22Tango View Post
        I throw the kayak in the bed of the pickup and sometimes use a bed extender. I'm planning a camping trip where I will need the bed of the truck, so I plan to reverse the bed extender that will hold the kayak high. Never done that before, and was considering whether I needed Hullyrollers or something to help me get it up there if I'm alone. Saw one internet photo where someone attached rollers with a u-bolt. Any ideas on an easy way to get it up there. It will happen very infrequently so I don't need permanent lifts or anything. Thanks.
        you're going to need something to keep it from sliding off while your trying to muscle it up there. I use the hullyrollers
        Red Hobie outback
        Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Which ever way you go, I'd suggest loading the kayak first. With the bed open, you can move freely while strapping it down. I have a rack and use the gullwings made by Malone. Slide the kayak into the bed, hop in and lift the bow up and over while sliding it far enough to the front the stern clears the rear rack. Lift and slide back onto rear gullwing. Then strap down. It's easy, never have to lift the full weight of the kayak, and doesn't take but a few minutes.

Comment

Working...
          X