Thread: Kodiak Jig is for the Birds

Default Kodiak Jig is for the Birds

I took the afternoon off and drove to Beverly Triton from central PA. Launched at 3:30 and fished until 6:30. Lots of chocolate water and crab pots and just one very small fish. On the way in I thought I might stop at the local tackle shop and pick up one of those Kodiak Jigs that was mentioned. I loved the look of it and thought for sure it would be the rockfish magnet I was dreaming. I'm a paddler, so I was trolling quite slow at between 2 and 3 mph. I figured that at that pace, the 1 oz Kodiak would be skimming the bottom. I was in the mouth of the south river when birds started dive bombing right behind me, but eventually stopped. I was out near the submerged wreck posting when I heard a big splash and the drag went crazy. I turn around and there goes a huge bird with my line. It's funny how I couldn't quite think straight at that point. I mean, what do you do when a bird is about to spool you? Fortunately, the jig eventually fell free from the bird and all was well with both of us.

It was a wonderful late afternoon on the water, but I sure wish I could have heard that drag with a different species on the end of the line. I had planned to fish all day tomorrow somewhere in the area, but I'm not sure what to do now. I'd be happy for advice.

Good story. Sorry it was not your target species. If you ever hook or wing-wrap a bird again, wind it in and put a towel or other cloth over its head. That calms the bird down somewhat so you can unhook it. I've never gotten a bird from the kayak, but have had quite a few from my boats.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Quote Originally Posted by LivinTheDream View Post
    I took the afternoon off and drove to Beverly Triton from central PA. Launched at 3:30 and fished until 6:30. Lots of chocolate water and crab pots and just one very small fish. On the way in I thought I might stop at the local tackle shop and pick up one of those Kodiak Jigs that was mentioned. I loved the look of it and thought for sure it would be the rockfish magnet I was dreaming. I'm a paddler, so I was trolling quite slow at between 2 and 3 mph. I figured that at that pace, the 1 oz Kodiak would be skimming the bottom. I was in the mouth of the south river when birds started dive bombing right behind me, but eventually stopped. I was out near the submerged wreck posting when I heard a big splash and the drag went crazy. I turn around and there goes a huge bird with my line. It's funny how I couldn't quite think straight at that point. I mean, what do you do when a bird is about to spool you? Fortunately, the jig eventually fell free from the bird and all was well with both of us.

It was a wonderful late afternoon on the water, but I sure wish I could have heard that drag with a different species on the end of the line. I had planned to fish all day tomorrow somewhere in the area, but I'm not sure what to do now. I'd be happy for advice.
    I've always worried that would happen. I came across a bunch of dolphins last summer and quickly reeled everything in to prevent hooking one.

I wasn't too far from you today (5 miles south) and only caught a 14" and a 20". Conditions were perfect and I was shocked I didn't do better. My friend got skunked.
    Pompano 120
    Garmin Striker 4dv