Gear Recommendations from Fellow Paddlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Recommendations from Fellow Paddlers

So to those out there who paddle, or at least paddle for a majority of the time, do any of you wear gloves to prevent calluses/blisters/etc from paddling? And if so, what do you use/recommend? I'm looking for lightweight gloves, as I already have some gloves I use during the winter/early spring. And are the standard yak grips a good investment as well, or do you have a preferred type of grip for your paddle? And lastly, what sort of paddle do you have? I've got the angler scout, which is a great paddle for the price IMO, but I might want to go with something lighter, for longer trips, or windy trips, of which there have been many lately. I was looking at the aquabound stingray or manta ray, which seem to be quality carbon fiber paddles at good prices. Any experience with those? Thanks for the help everyone.

Never really used gloves but I did own the aquabound stingray for a day then returned it. The eagle ray is better with more surface area for a low angle paddle stroke. The manta ray is more of a high angle. I loved my eagle ray, only reason I got rid of it was because I went full carbon fiber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I don't use gloves but I have a set of paddle grips on my paddle: http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/...3_ecom_PLA_453

I have the upgraded Vibe paddle. It is great.

Comment

I've been using the Angler Scout now for a couple years. It's nothing fancy, but like you said, its the right price. I've never tried a carbon fiber paddle (afraid I'll like it too much and overspend) so I have no comparison for weight, but I'm so used to the Angle Scout I can paddle it all day no problem. And I will say I have found the notch in the paddle blade to be handy for getting out snags or for scoring snagged lures/weights other people left behind. Small bonus I guess.

I only wear gloves when it's cold out. I work outside so my hands are already pretty rough and callus. Are you getting blisters because your gripping the paddle to firmly or working too hard with your paddle stroke? If you use good form I don't think you should be getting blisters all that often. Either that or you need to paddle more to turn those blisters into calluses, hehe

The only problem with not wearing gloves, or not having a paddle grip, to me is slippery hands. Sunscreen and tog slime are the worst to have on your hands for paddling.
        Brian

Comment

How much thicker is the paddle with it on?
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
            I've been using the Angler Scout now for a couple years. It's nothing fancy, but like you said, its the right price. I've never tried a carbon fiber paddle (afraid I'll like it too much and overspend) so I have no comparison for weight, but I'm so used to the Angle Scout I can paddle it all day no problem. And I will say I have found the notch in the paddle blade to be handy for getting out snags or for scoring snagged lures/weights other people left behind. Small bonus I guess.

I only wear gloves when it's cold out. I work outside so my hands are already pretty rough and callus. Are you getting blisters because your gripping the paddle to firmly or working too hard with your paddle stroke? If you use good form I don't think you should be getting blisters all that often. Either that or you need to paddle more to turn those blisters into calluses, hehe

The only problem with not wearing gloves, or not having a paddle grip, to me is slippery hands. Sunscreen and tog slime are the worst to have on your hands for paddling.
            Yeah I probably am gripping it too firmly, I mainly get the blisters when it's real windy. I work with my hands fairly often too, and weightlift, so I figured my calluses would just get thicker, but instead I got all new ones. And yeah the slipperiness with sunscreen and/or sanitizer after getting stuck with a spine, really tends to degrade my ruler on the paddle. You can really tell where I grip it normally, that's where the missing spots on the ruler are.

Comment

I use YakGrips.

They add about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch of soft foam padding to the paddle shaft. They provide a comfortable place to grasp the paddle and help to prevent blisters. Additionally, they may also provide a degree of floatation for your paddle for those like me who do not use a paddle leash.

They're available from multiple sources on-line for between $14 and $20 a pair.

I think they are well worth the cost.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

When I first started kayak fishing I did not wear gloves and often got blisters or at least tender spots on my hands. 5-10 years ago, I bought a set of Yakgrips (foam sleeves that slide on the paddle shaft). I really like them for two reasons: 1) they provide a cushioned place on the paddle shaft to grip -- they eliminated any blisters or tenderness; and b) they will float most paddles in the event your paddle goes overboard.

Two years ago I was taking an antibiotic ffor a few weeks that made my skin extra sensitive to sunlight. During that period, I had several days of fishing in Florida. After the first day, my hands were badly burned and swollen. I went to a kayak shop and bought a set of fly fishing gloves (finger tips exposed). That solved the sun problem and also reduced the number of times I got pricked by a dorsal fin spine. I now wear them on every trip and don't even realize they are there anymore. I can easily wind in and release fish and can even tie on lures and leaders while wearing the gloves. I have used two varieties -- Cabelas and Buff -- and like them both. I can get a year or more out of a pair of gloves. If you have handled fish during your trip, I recommend washing them with soap and water when you get home.

Regarding paddles there are many choices. I won't recommend any brand or model, but do suggest you consider the following factors:

- weight (inversely related to cost)
                - shaft material
                - blade material
                - shape of blade
                - length of shaft
                - ability to offset the two blades
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Oh yeah, the painted ruler on mine lasted about a week before it was rubbed off where I hold. You can barely tell it even had a ruler on it now.

If you're getting them when it's windy, it does sound like it might be from gripping too tight or paddling too hard. Which can be tough not to do sometimes when you are really fighting conditions. Grips or gloves certainly might help.

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  They add about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch
                  That's not too bad at all. I was envisioning much thicker. A diameter increase of that much probably doesn't take much time to adjust to.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                    That's not too bad at all. I was envisioning much thicker. A diameter increase of that much probably doesn't take much time to adjust to.
                    The only adjustment you'll notice is increased comfort.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have and still use glacier glove stripping/fighting gloves. They have a upf 50 + and give a good grip for fish and paddle.
                      Here is a link to To them http://www.glacierglove.com/stripping-fighting-glove/
                      We do carry them at bass pro in the fly shop.

Comment

No gloves, no grips. I raw dog it.

I don't have any problems. Paddle is a Carlisle Expedition Angler (fiberglass). It's pretty light. Not carbon, but I can paddle with it for hours without much problem.
                        Native Titan Propel 12
                        Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
                        Mercury 6hp
                        Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
                        Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

When I remember to bring them I use a set of Buff Angler Gloves. Paddling is always more comfortable with those gloves.
                          - Justin
                          2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
                          2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

I don't wear gloves, but on the paddle I like a fiberglass shaft and ABS blades and I can take it anywhere, anytime. The fiberglass shaft is stronger than aluminum shafts and doesn't wear out under heavy digging. The ABS blades handle rocks and using it like push paddle in shallow water.

I know many guys like carbon fiber and say it helps because it's light, but I can't notice the difference. We are talking ounces when I am digging in the water and pushing 350#through the water. Learning to rotate your core help so much more. I won a Werner Shuna Hooked lightweight paddle at the Susquehanna jamboree years back. I was all excited about using it. I did not notice it help me any, or make me feel less tired. It paddled fine, but any gusts of wind wanted to blow the paddle off and into the water and I almost got separated from it once. I had to watch the paddle while fishing every time the wind blew. Also used it once at Mattawoman and pushed off a rock by the pier and chipped one blade. They said it wouldn't, but it did.

To be honest, I treat all my equipment like a bull in a china shop. I am rough on everything and I go for bullet proof. That is why I like fiberglass shafts and ABS blades. I have the bending branches angler classic and I've beat it well and it hold up great.
                            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I use a pair of Husky Fingerless gloves I got at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Lar...3-16/203607124 . As far as a paddle I use a 260 Werner Hook Skagit

Comment

Working...
                              X