Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some input on a new fish finder

Hi folks,

I have been using a Humminbird 597 FF for the last few years and am wondering if I should switch to one of the new tech models like the Helix. I want to stay with Humminbird as I am familiar with them and have been using their brand since the 1970's.

I fish mostly in the Severn, South River and CB from the BB to TPL. I have seen the screen shots from these newer fish finders and they are awesome. I have a trolling motor and battery on my yak so amperage draw is not a big issue.

Here are some of my questions for those of you who use Humminbird.

Do the new models still have their own quick disconnect mount or do you have to use a ball mount? I don't have any tracks on my yak and currently mount the FF at the back of my mod pod.

Can I still mount the transducer inside using the dum dum sealant method? This has worked great for me for years and I'd rather not have to hang it over the side.

Thanks in advance,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Originally posted by john from md View Post
    Hi folks,

I have been using a Humminbird 597 FF for the last few years and am wondering if I should switch to one of the new tech models like the Helix. I want to stay with Humminbird as I am familiar with them and have been using their brand since the 1970's.

I fish mostly in the Severn, South River and CB from the BB to TPL. I have seen the screen shots from these newer fish finders and they are awesome. I have a trolling motor and battery on my yak so amperage draw is not a big issue.

Here are some of my questions for those of you who use Humminbird.

Do the new models still have their own quick disconnect mount or do you have to use a ball mount? I don't have any tracks on my yak and currently mount the FF at the back of my mod pod.

Can I still mount the transducer inside using the dum dum sealant method? This has worked great for me for years and I'd rather not have to hang it over the side.

Thanks in advance,

John
    I can't provide too much advice on hummingbird, because I have a Lowrance unit but I would suspect any transducer that comes with a model priced above $100-150 would be more than powerful enough to be mounted inside with some duct seal putty. My bargain lowrance 3x worked occasionally when it was mounted inside, but I had heard through google searches that the transducer for that bargain ($80) model wasn't powerful enough for through hull mounting. I mounted it outside, , it worked for a couple months, but continued to have issues, which looking back, were probably due to my wiring setup being too exposed to the saltwater. I now have the elite 4hdi with the chartplotter abilities and downscan, and it seems to be working great, so I will probably go back to through hull mounting for its transducer, which is much larger. This makes a little more drag for the boat, so it's going back into the hull. I would just call Hummingbird once you decide on a model, and ask them if the transducer is powerful enough for that sort of mounting, it should be though.

Comment

I guess my main concern is for the side scan function. I have never had a problem shooting through the hull with any unit I have put on the yak. However, I am seeing posts on the web leading me to believe that, for side scan, you need to have it in the water. I can probably get a motor mount but, since I take my lower half of the motor off every time, I would have to leave 20 feet of cable on deck to connect to the FF.
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
        I guess my main concern is for the side scan function. I have never had a problem shooting through the hull with any unit I have put on the yak. However, I am seeing posts on the web leading me to believe that, for side scan, you need to have it in the water. I can probably get a motor mount but, since I take my lower half of the motor off every time, I would have to leave 20 feet of cable on deck to connect to the FF.
        I would call Delaware paddlesports, who's a berleypro dealer I believe. They make custom transducer covers for the higher end (sidescan, totalscan, etc.) transducers to mount on the bottom of the kayak, either through the provided hobie mounts, or for other kayaks. They may make something you need, so you could just mount it once on the bottom of your kayak, maybe below a scupper hole, and that way you wouldn't have to drill any additional holes in the yak. And you wouldn't have to disconnect anything or move any cables each time, you could just leave it mounted and disconnect it from the head unit each time like normal.

Comment

I've gone pretty elaborate on my fish finder lately. I have the Helix 10 with Mega Imaging. It is out of this world incredible. I also tacked on a 360 imaging transducer.
          The Mega Imaging shows things that you wouldn't believe. I've started posting some screenshots on my page but it's just the tip of the iceberg. I've got several I haven't posted yet.
          I just really can't get over the detail and all the fish. All I do is stare at the screen and look off to the sides, mark fish and then make your way over to them. If you want the best imaging out there right now, get the Mega Imaging.

Here's a link to my setup. I mount everything to a bracket and then attach it with a Ram Mount, 1.5" ball
          https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=3&theater

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

I recently switched from Lowrance to humminbird. I did not have a huge budget for a new one to replace my elite4dsi, so I only got the 698ci hd. I have the berleypro ducer mount. Going to take some getting used to having that thing sticking out below my hull. The 698 is not all that new, so I'm not sure about the mounts on the fancy new helix units. I really prefer the the way Lowrance could be removed entirely and just leave the wire connection. I don't like how the humminbird mount works for my hobie. I have to leave a mount attached to the cables rather than taking my whole sailing mast quick disconnect mount and throwing it in a bag. Giving me transport issues heartburn. I made a similar mount for sailing mast and will leave wires extended enough to throw the mount in front hatch during transport. Hope to try out the humminbird next week.

Comment

Here's another screen shot of the Mega Imaging. It's a crab pot and you can actually see the bait tube. It doesn't look like there's any crabs in it
              https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=3&theater

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

After seeing those Mega Imaging pictures I was in full blown "Take My Money" mode until I saw the $1200 price tag... until Hummingbird can put that imaging in something that's not a 9"+ screen and doesn't leave me feeling so financially violated I'll stick to my trusty Lowrance...

Why do I always feel like I need to rob a bank when I'm looking at crap to buy for fishing/kayaking?
                Last edited by jmt1980; 04-14-2017, 08:22 AM. Reason: Bcuz I type gud.
                - Justin
                2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
                2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Working...
                X