How Crazy Does It Get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Crazy Does It Get?

So striped bass trophy season is getting ready to kick off this weekend and as a 'new to the whole bay fishing thing' person I was just curious as to how crazy it gets out on the bay this time of year. How long does it take for the crowds to die down?

To be honest, I'm less concerned about weather/tides than I am about mr. overthelimit fisherman mowing me down with a pair of 300hp outboards or mr. moremoneythansense cigar boat guy blowing by me.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Stay out of the bay, fish the rivers to be safe
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Its def worse in the northern bay around the bay bridge and out in front of the magothy river. Like john said earlier, sticking to tribs is your best bet. Make sure you've got visibility on your side too, I.e. bright clothing, paddle, etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

One of the things I like about kayak fishing is that it allows me to go places where big boats cannot go or choose not to go because boat owners often assume stripers are not in smaller waters. Fortunately, we have plenty of places to fish where we do not have to compete with motor boats. I especially like watch big fishing rigs pass me (under 6 MPH, of course) on their way out of the creeks when I have located fish close to where they were moored.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Ditto what the others have said.
          I work as a part time first mate on a charter boat and I despise "opening day.' (BTW, I feel the same way about opening day on Trout streams too). Fishing in a crowd is not my idea of a good time. There are far better ways to socialize.

Relatively jammed conditions, and even though the Bay is more than 4 miles wide, there is no logic to the movement of many of the boats.

Guys trolling randomly, and many towing planer boards, creating a 100 foot wide "boat" with a swath of lures trailing behind. If the boat doesn't run you down, you still have a chance of being caught up in a mass of towed lures!

Combine this with no uniform traffic pattern, captains refusing to yield, and all sort of intoxicated yahoos who are of limited competency as a boater..........

Suffice it to say that I won't work on the boat on opening day anymore. (I hate trolling with the heavy gear, too). It means giving up a couple of hundred dollars in earnings and tips, but, y'know, there are more important things that are a lot less stressful.

If the weather is nice as predicted, it's even worse.

My suggestion is to find someplace shallow and a bit hard to access..........I'm probably gonna fish some local ponds that day.
          Last edited by bignose; 04-12-2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

One of the guys on here got swiped with a planer board and took out his rods while he was fishing around the bay bridge.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Too many yazoos out there trying to wipe out the species. Too many drunks & too many ignoring safe boating laws.
              Amongst the crowd, however, are some great sportsmen.

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                So striped bass trophy season is getting ready to kick off this weekend and as a 'new to the whole bay fishing thing' person I was just curious as to how crazy it gets out on the bay this time of year. How long does it take for the crowds to die down?

To be honest, I'm less concerned about weather/tides than I am about mr. overthelimit fisherman mowing me down with a pair of 300hp outboards or mr. moremoneythansense cigar boat guy blowing by me.
                I fished Wednesday late afternoon/evening and caught/released 17...last half hour before dark the top water bite was epic...because you could not hold a gun on me and make me go opening day...and I will only fish during the week for the next month...weekends are a zoo...like your fears, I have been in the close proximity of fast movers that like to see us kayakers surfing their wakes...little power boats aren't so bad, but 30 footers push a lot of water at full throttle...and 30 boats all pulling 100 feet of planers don't leave much room for us...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'll be in freshwater tomorrow. Wide open on the lakes as everyone hits the bay.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                    I'll be in freshwater tomorrow. Wide open on the lakes as everyone hits the bay.
                    After reading everyone's replies, I think I'll be doing the same.
                    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I live on the Rt. 5 By-pass around Waldorf...been a steady stream of boats on trailers headed south this morning...sitting at the kitten table drinking a cup of coffee looking out our bay window at them going by- and most have rigged up rods visible...

Comment

Healthy 26 incher. Not a boat/kayak in sight. Picture perfect. Everyone went out to the bay. I went to St Mary's river.
                        Hooked another 4 (16-20 inchers)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice fish- sheltered waters are the place to be...and congratulations for fishing on opening day-

Comment

Got my measurement and let it go. I was pumped.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                              Nice fish- sheltered waters are the place to be...and congratulations for fishing on opening day-
                              Thank you sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X