Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Crazy Does It Get?

Default How Crazy Does It Get?

So striped bass trophy season is getting ready to kick off this weekend and as a 'new to the whole bay fishing thing' person I was just curious as to how crazy it gets out on the bay this time of year. How long does it take for the crowds to die down?

To be honest, I'm less concerned about weather/tides than I am about mr. overthelimit fisherman mowing me down with a pair of 300hp outboards or mr. moremoneythansense cigar boat guy blowing by me.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna

Stay out of the bay, fish the rivers to be safe
    John
    Annapolis
    Native Slayer Propel 10, Native Ultimate 12

Its def worse in the northern bay around the bay bridge and out in front of the magothy river. Like john said earlier, sticking to tribs is your best bet. Make sure you've got visibility on your side too, I.e. bright clothing, paddle, etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

One of the things I like about kayak fishing is that it allows me to go places where big boats cannot go or choose not to go because boat owners often assume stripers are not in smaller waters. Fortunately, we have plenty of places to fish where we do not have to compete with motor boats. I especially like watch big fishing rigs pass me (under 6 MPH, of course) on their way out of the creeks when I have located fish close to where they were moored.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Ditto what the others have said.
    I work as a part time first mate on a charter boat and I despise "opening day.' (BTW, I feel the same way about opening day on Trout streams too). Fishing in a crowd is not my idea of a good time. There are far better ways to socialize.

Relatively jammed conditions, and even though the Bay is more than 4 miles wide, there is no logic to the movement of many of the boats.

Guys trolling randomly, and many towing planer boards, creating a 100 foot wide "boat" with a swath of lures trailing behind. If the boat doesn't run you down, you still have a chance of being caught up in a mass of towed lures!

Combine this with no uniform traffic pattern, captains refusing to yield, and all sort of intoxicated yahoos who are of limited competency as a boater..........

Suffice it to say that I won't work on the boat on opening day anymore. (I hate trolling with the heavy gear, too). It means giving up a couple of hundred dollars in earnings and tips, but, y'know, there are more important things that are a lot less stressful.

If the weather is nice as predicted, it's even worse.

My suggestion is to find someplace shallow and a bit hard to access..........I'm probably gonna fish some local ponds that day.
    Last edited by bignose; 04-12-2017 at 09:24 PM.

One of the guys on here got swiped with a planer board and took out his rods while he was fishing around the bay bridge.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback
    Alan

Too many yazoos out there trying to wipe out the species. Too many drunks & too many ignoring safe boating laws.
    Amongst the crowd, however, are some great sportsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by nhunter344 View Post
    So striped bass trophy season is getting ready to kick off this weekend and as a 'new to the whole bay fishing thing' person I was just curious as to how crazy it gets out on the bay this time of year. How long does it take for the crowds to die down?

To be honest, I'm less concerned about weather/tides than I am about mr. overthelimit fisherman mowing me down with a pair of 300hp outboards or mr. moremoneythansense cigar boat guy blowing by me.
    I fished Wednesday late afternoon/evening and caught/released 17...last half hour before dark the top water bite was epic...because you could not hold a gun on me and make me go opening day...and I will only fish during the week for the next month...weekends are a zoo...like your fears, I have been in the close proximity of fast movers that like to see us kayakers surfing their wakes...little power boats aren't so bad, but 30 footers push a lot of water at full throttle...and 30 boats all pulling 100 feet of planers don't leave much room for us...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I'll be in freshwater tomorrow. Wide open on the lakes as everyone hits the bay.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    I'll be in freshwater tomorrow. Wide open on the lakes as everyone hits the bay.
    After reading everyone's replies, I think I'll be doing the same.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna