Thread: Evening Fly Rod Trip

Default Evening Fly Rod Trip

Went to the local flow after a quick dinner at home tonight.
    Took the fly rod.
    Fished this fly that I tied.

Caught this fish.

I think some are intimidated by fly fishing with its special jargon of rod weights and tippet sizes and perceived complexity. But really it is nothing more than tossing hooks dressed with feathers or hair at fish. It's a very simple process and it has fooled fish and captured anglers for hundreds of years. It's especially rewarding to catch a fish on a fly you tied. Good job, Tom.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Thanks Mark. I'm looking forward to catching some bass this summer. Also need to get used to the 7 weight rod I picked up over the winter. It seems so big and heavy compared to the 5 weight I'm used to. Bigger flies, bigger fish I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
    Thanks Mark. I'm looking forward to catching some bass this summer. Also need to get used to the 7 weight rod I picked up over the winter. It seems so big and heavy compared to the 5 weight I'm used to. Bigger flies, bigger fish I guess.
    Yes, potentially. But you'll also find that throwing bigger flies on a larger rod, especially into the wind, is actually less tiring than trying to push a lighter rod to do the same. And even a 7 wt. is often lighter than conventional tackle used to target bass.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
    I was casting a 4wt for the better part of 50 years and then got an 8wt and the first time I went out I thought I had a Broom Stick and 1/2" rope for line! You will get used to it just put in some time in small bites and things will be fine.

eyedaddy