Eastern Shore Snakeheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Shore Snakeheads

I've been meaning to put in a full day targeting snakeheads for quite some time. As it gets warm, I usually get distracted by other species, but this past Saturday, I pulled the trigger and spent an afternoon in Dorchester with Adam Corry. It was a slow pick with the wind blowing 25 mph and cold water, but we managed to find a couple of snakeheads. One on a spinner and one on a chatter bait. I typically avoid freshwater fish (no real reason), but these things were delicious. We also found a few chunky bass sitting on beds in the shallows. Ill definitely be back.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Nice pictures!

Comment

That's a nice outing!

I really enjoy fishing Eastern Shore ponds. There are many to choose from and they're good source of pullage early in the spring when tidal fish play hide and seek with us.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great way to give the salt water a while to get over the opening day of Spring Trophy season's fleets of power boats taking over the bay...one good thing about all the boat pressure is they drive the fish into secluded areas we normally fish...and snakehead is a really tasty fish- most any way you like fish...and a big one has enough meat to feed three people...they fight pretty good and top water strikes are awe inspiring...they blow the water up!
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Sounded like fun, I was in Dorchester County on Thursday checking out couple white perch honey holes. That wind definitely didn't cooperate, decided to head to couple my favorite local ponds around Eldorado. The Chain Pickeral were definitely biting that day, it was fun watching them torpedo through the lily pads and seeing the wake as they smashed my top water lure. Decided to jump to the Salisbury ponds in the afternoon and caught my first snakehead of the year from shore. It definitely was a good day.`

Comment

They must be almost everywhere now. I have seen them on the flats and in the Sassafras river.
            Now if I could just get one to hit my lures
            Red Hobie outback
            Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

One thing that separates a "Fisherman" from a hobbyist is being able to target species. I've never caught a Snakehead, but I've been hearing about how good they are to eat so I am definitely interested in devoting some time and tackle towards catching a few. Thanks for sharing in the true spirit of Snaggedline; there's plenty of fish out there for all of us!
              Gregory
              ​Ain't Misbehavin'
              2014 Pro Angler 12
              '

Comment

Thanks guys. It was a fun trip. I wish I had more time to target them on a regular basis. If anyone makes the trip to the shore, send a PM and if I am able to join you, I will.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Hay all It is easier to tell some one where they are not at than where they are . I have found them to be a little picky the last 2 weeks . They are fun to chase . They are in brackish water as much or more than fresh . As long as there is fresh water coming in . Good fishing to all .

Comment

Working...
                  X