Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian River Bay Questions

Hey guys -

I'm going to take my first venture into DE fishing next month and I was hoping for some advise. I'll be launching from a community near Walter Point on Indian River Bay and I've heard nothing but horror stories of the Inlet so I'm going to stay as far from that as possible... I haven't seen many reports specifically for the Indian River Bay so I was fishing (pun intended) for some tips from the locals. What species should I target to have a good time? Are there any special areas to avoid besides the Inlet? Any specific areas to target and/or alternate launches I should consider? I'm trying to get a feel for the area because I may be visiting quite retired family in the area pretty regularly.
    - Justin
    2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
    2018 Jackson Coosa

The inlet is pretty crazy because of how fast the current is I've only fished off the jetty whenever I'm there. From the fishing report here it just looks like white perch would be the best bet this time of year. http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/fis...ingreport.aspx
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Thanks for that link! - I'm not opposed to driving down to Assawoman or up to Rehoboth Bay but launching right by the house has a huge convenience factor. I'll be launching south of the actual inlet, near the Bayshore Campground... I don't plan on going near the actual inlet but is the current and boat traffic bad throughout the bay? Should I be worried that far south of the actual inlet?
      - Justin
      2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Originally posted by jmt1980 View Post
        Thanks for that link! - I'm not opposed to driving down to Assawoman or up to Rehoboth Bay but launching right by the house has a huge convenience factor. I'll be launching south of the actual inlet, near the Bayshore Campground... I don't plan on going near the actual inlet but is the current and boat traffic bad throughout the bay? Should I be worried that far south of the actual inlet?
        I haven't ever fished near the inlet but have fished at the bay from a different launch point a bit down. I think I have looked at the area that you plan on fishing once in passing so I cant really say but I'm going to guess that the current shouldn't be bad since you'll be in the bay, but you would have to see for yourself.

Boat traffic wise I think that at this time of the year it should be minimal, traffic obviously would pick up in the summer. Another thing to take in mind is that depending where you launch/fish in the summer there will be a lot of tourists kite surfing from time to time which can get in the way.
        Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Right now there are Blues and striper and shad in and around the inlet and soon the flounder will be in the holes back in the bays, I have better luck near the inlet going south towards the VFW for flounder and croaker. When in my kayak I usually only fishing the incoming tide at Indian river inlet. But even in the out going tide you can still fish near the inlet just don't venture close where the inlet narrows down ( where the rock pile jetty's start) that's where the current really picks up.
          Red Hobie outback
          Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Also if you can stay away on weekends . The place is nuts
            Red Hobie outback
            Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for the tips! South of the Inlet was where I was hoping to be able to target... Should be down that way May 6/7
              - Justin
              2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Working...
              X