Fishing Report - Maiden Voyage at Allen's Fresh 04/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Report - Maiden Voyage at Allen's Fresh 04/10

Got started way late. Packed too much since I had no idea what I would need. We were out on the water for about 3 or so hours and managed to land a couple 10 pound blue cats. I shouldn't say we, my son caught two ten pound blue cats. I was just there for propulsion. It was awesome watching a 35lb five year old reeling in 10lb fish. We tried our local bluegill pond for bait the day before, but all the rain turned it into pea soup. Ended up using cut bluefish from the Asian supermarket. We didn't catch a lot (although signs were there that there were many more to be caught), but I definitely learned a lot. A quick list would be

Know the tides/wind
    The yakattack park-n-pole is awesome in shallow water
    Don't try to keep multiple 10lb catfish on a dinky trout stringer (lost one on the paddle back)
    Don't take as much stuff (a milk crate with rod holders behind the seat would be nice)
    Anchor trolleys are awesome
    Teach your kid how to get the rod out of the rod holder before you leave
    Lots of other small things

All in all a great day. Thanks to kevinfry for all the pointers and tips. It was definitely appreciated!

IMG_3527_sm.jpg
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Outstanding report and one of the best photos I've ever seen on this website!

Comment

That picture made my day!!! How fast times goes. Enjoys these days and continue to take plenty of pictures. You've got yourself a "Fisherman for Life" with you

Yak67
      2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Blue cats.....great way to get started

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
          You've got yourself a "Fisherman for Life" with you
          I hope so. What I like most is that somewhere along the line, without prompting, he decided he will only keep the fish which he intends to eat. If he doesn't want to eat it, he'll ask if we can throw it back. He'll even make sure to ask if its big enough to keep before keeping one. I realize that I'm obviously a biased dad bragging about his kid, but I hope there's lots more out there with his conservation mindset so that our kid's kids can still enjoy a weekend on the water.
          "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
          X