Patapsco Report 4/10/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco Report 4/10/17

Got out around 7:30 Sunday morning. Water was glass, but that was the only good news to report. Trolled around until 10 or so before calling it quits, without getting so much as a single hit.

I saw another kayaker out there for a bit - wondering if it was anybody here? He was further out from shore than I was, going from the power plant toward Rock Creek/fort smallwood.

I spent more time talking to the DNR guys than I did reeling in fish. Matter of fact, I may start another thread to warn folks to expect to get stopped in this area this time of year.

Anyway, there was no wind and no fish, which at least beats wind and no fish. We had our first child three weeks ago, so it was nice to finally get out for a beautiful morning on the water anyway.
    2018 Hobie Compass

It twas i. I didnt do much better. Only one dink. The plastic bag bite was on fire though!

My past two trips, in two separate locations, I've been stopped by DNR. They ask if I've caught anything, ask for my license and I'm on my way. I'm glad they have a greater presence. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've been stopped in the past few years before now.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by WeCallEmRockfish View Post
      Got out around 7:30 Sunday morning. Water was glass, but that was the only good news to report. Trolled around until 10 or so before calling it quits, without getting so much as a single hit.

I saw another kayaker out there for a bit - wondering if it was anybody here? He was further out from shore than I was, going from the power plant toward Rock Creek/fort smallwood.

I spent more time talking to the DNR guys than I did reeling in fish. Matter of fact, I may start another thread to warn folks to expect to get stopped in this area this time of year.

Anyway, there was no wind and no fish, which at least beats wind and no fish. We had our first child three weeks ago, so it was nice to finally get out for a beautiful morning on the water anyway.

Might have been me I was out in a Propel 10. Launching out of Fort Smallwood from about 8am till 12 bite seemed to pick up as some wind did and managed 4 fish up to 18" no big ones. Had one good knockdown but never got a good hookset. Saw a couple other Yaks (Blue Hobie, and another pedal yak) but didn't get a chance to talk to them.

Did not get stopped by the DNR on the water, but did have an officer pull up in his truck at the launch as I was unloading. He wanted to make sure I had all my safety equipment and to be careful since someone capsized their yak last weekend. I listed all my equipment quick and offered to let him check it but he declined and told me to be careful and went on his way.
      Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

No, don't get me wrong - I definitely appreciate that they're out there. I'd just hate for somebody to forget to grab their license, or even their whistle (I've gotten a written warning for not having that, was with a guy who got cited for it), and instead of turning the car around to get it, just assuming they'll be fine.

I got stopped at least 3 times last spring, and I'm 1/1 now this year. Always right near the Brandon Shores plant.
        2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

If anyone catches my penn spinfisher 4500 between the two clam lines in front of smallwood let me know. You can have it of course. but I would just like to know that it found a new home
          Zach Bennett
          Linthicum MD
          2014 Hobie Outback
          Instagram: YakinZak
          Youtube: YakinZak
          Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

How dirty was the water when you all were out? I want to head to the flats, but it seems unfishable...
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
              How dirty was the water when you all were out? I want to head to the flats, but it seems unfishable...
              Pretty murky for sure.
              2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

I took this pic at the mouth of the patapsco. Bay on the left, river on the right. Possibly Mr. Wecallemrockfish in the far bacground? it was pretty bad...
                17855098_10103393022837015_5587169909951328121_o.jpg
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                  I took this pic at the mouth of the patapsco. Bay on the left, river on the right. Possibly Mr. Wecallemrockfish in the far bacground? it was pretty bad...
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]21232[/ATTACH]
                  So that yak would have been on the Bay side of Fort Smallwood Park? Not me, in that case. I was between Rock Creek & Stoney Creek, closer to Stoney/Brandon Shores.

But yes...muddy.
                  2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Guess I'll stay south then. Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21232[/ATTACH]
                    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
                    X