Fishing (or surfing) report 4/9 western shore mid bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing (or surfing) report 4/9 western shore mid bay

Launched at 4pm with a steady 10 mph wind coming from the east right before high tide. The plan was to troll for stripers. Within 10 minutes of being on the water the wind kicked up to what felt like 20mph+ with white caps all around and waves over my head. I'm stubborn and it was a nice day so I decided to power through it. After a mile or so of paddling, I caught an 18" and a 19" a few minutes later. I had to keep one eye on the fish and the other on the waves to make sure I didn't get capsized.

All in all, I had to earn those fish. I feel like I accomplished more with those two than some much bigger fish that I've caught.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Congrats on avoiding the skunk and earning those fish!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Fished out of ft smallwood and it was much the same story. Though add about 10mph to the wind speed haha, but 1 more fish. Nothing big, 1 12" and 2 18s. Like you said, very hard earned fish. The wind changed direction too so we (myself hobiematt and silasvirus) always were going against the wind.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep- Fish Weather is my friend...winds there are pretty accurate (except for Piney Point, that seems to have its own peculiar geological features)...and I have been "Stubborn" and said "the heck with it..I am here" and just gone anyway...usually regretted those poor decisions on my part...thankfully, the Outback is a strong, seaworthy boat that can take a beating...I know the hull design gets its share of critics for hull slap but you can't deny its toughness in big water...nowadays (ain't retirement great?) I am a lot more selective about the winds I choose to launch in...still get caught out on the water every now and then when the wind gets up, but I don't launch into a stiff wind...just too uncomfortable to fight breakers and following seas trying to keep the bow quartering into the waves to prevent broaching...not criticizing anyone...this is just me...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          Yep- Fish Weather is my friend...winds there are pretty accurate (except for Piney Point, that seems to have its own peculiar geological features)...and I have been "Stubborn" and said "the heck with it..I am here" and just gone anyway...usually regretted those poor decisions on my part...thankfully, the Outback is a strong, seaworthy boat that can take a beating...I know the hull design gets its share of critics for hull slap but you can't deny its toughness in big water...nowadays (ain't retirement great?) I am a lot more selective about the winds I choose to launch in...still get caught out on the water every now and then when the wind gets up, but I don't launch into a stiff wind...just too uncomfortable to fight breakers and following seas trying to keep the bow quartering into the waves to prevent broaching...not criticizing anyone...this is just me...
          Yeah I've said this before, but in general, that's when I feel that pedal boats have the biggest advantage, in the wind. It's just much easier to maintain a trolling speed in them, even when going into the wind, versus a paddle boat, in my experience at least. One of many advantages I suppose, but I still managed to catch a few yesterday despite the wind, sometimes that's not the case. Either way, it was an exhausting day.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
            Yeah I've said this before, but in general, that's when I feel that pedal boats have the biggest advantage, in the wind. It's just much easier to maintain a trolling speed in them, even when going into the wind, versus a paddle boat, in my experience at least...
            I would suggest that pedal kayaks are also better when fishing the shorelines of ponds and creeks in windy conditions. It is darned near impossible to hold a shoreline position in a paddle boat while facing even a light wind -- unless you want to anchor which I rarely do. With a pedal boat you can make slight adjustments with your rudder and also provide a little forward thrust with your pedals to keep your boat on a specific course into a light wind.

That said, I prefer my paddle boat in small waters for a variety of other reasons: simplicity, access to tight quarters, weight, stealth, etc. Also when I get to a small water site, I will actually paddle into the wind for a good distance in order to position myself to work a shoreline with the wind at my back on the return trip. That way I can get wind-aided drift through my target area.

So, we often think of pedal kayaks for trolling on this forum and they are outstanding for that. But they have application for finesse fishing to structure also, especially on windy days.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Well earned fish! And you didn't end up in the drink or hook yourself - that's a plus!
              Brian

Comment

Well there's a reason pedal kayaks cost so much, right?
                Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                Mercury 6hp

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                  Well earned fish! And you didn't end up in the drink or hook yourself - that's a plus!
                  Zing!
                  Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                  Mercury 6hp

Comment

Working...
                  X