White perch rod and reel question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White perch rod and reel question.

As the water temps warm I can only keep thinking about hitting the docks with small jigs catching tons of white perch. Last season I used a cheap 30 dollar freshwater ultralight quantum rod combo and after 2 good uses I could notice rust and the reel having issues. For those here that fish the ultra light combos, what are you using that will hold up a few seasons. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Just an el cheapo Shakespeare I've had for probably a decade

Comment

The daiwa BG sw I've got would be a good perch reel, though you might want to go down a size. I've got the 2500 on a 6'6 ugly stik elite, so its a very light combo, but great for trolling. But it can cast a 1/4oz jig very far, haven't fished anything smaller yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

After a few white perch trips with my UL Pflueger Supreme reel on a St. Croix Tidemaster 6' ultra light rod using 6# test red label Seagar floro line...I switched to my Stradic 2500 CI 4(+) with 10# braid on a 7' St. Croix light action extra fast Mojo Inshore rod...seems like every trip I was having by-catch issues with much larger fish than the target species placing lots of stress on the UL equipment...During the Curley's Perch tournament last year I was hooked up to a 24 inch striper for a good 30 minutes of prime fishing time...and the very light weight (in your hand) Stradic outfit still gives the perch some good action so you can get a decent fight out of those 12-13 inch fish we caught last year...
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-10-2017, 07:57 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

As Ron noted, stripers often travel with white perch, or perhaps it's vice versa. I suspect only the fish know for sure. Anyway, I use a 2500 series-sized reel and a 6.5 foot light spinning rod -- Pflueger President reel and St. Croix Triumph rod. Neither will break the bank but each are dependable and can easily handle the occasional legal striper and pickerel over 20 inches. All three species share the same habitat in tidal waters and are attracted to the same lures.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I just picked up a Daiwa Procyon EX, which is similar to the BG, in the 2000 size on a 6'0 St. Croix Premier, which I intend to use for perch. I've used it for shad a few times so far, and I'm really impressed. I think that sized reel should be able to handle any surprise stripers that come along better than my previous ultralight set up.
            Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Here are the rods and reels I use for perch in the summer and pickerel in the winter. I also use them if I do pond fishing on the eastern shore.

I have one 6' St. Croix Premier UL rod, a 6' St. Croix Triumph light rod, and an old 6' Eagle Claw light rod. Each is paired with Shimano Stradic 1000 reels spooled with 10-lb Powerpro and 20-lb mono leader. These combos are light and sensitive but have handled pickerel to 24", perch to 14", and stripers to over 20". If I am paddling between different Severn creeks while perch fishing, I often troll those same rods and have caught plenty of perch and a few 18"-22" stripers.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

For dock hopping and perch jerking I have "regressed" to a couple of Bass Pro 5 1/2 foot light action Crappie rods, I really liked the Extreme series but they've been discontinued. I like the shorter rods for their ability to "flick" lures under docks and branches.
                I liked the 1000 series Shimano Stadics, but they are now way over priced for perch, so I picked up a couple of cheapo Daiwa Crossfire reels at a flea market for like $20.00. I figured that I would get a season or two out of them, five years ago, and they are still catching!

They hold about 50 yards of 10 lb. Suffix Orange Braid ( which tests out at 18 lb!). Just make sure that they are rinsed after each use. I can always "palm" the spool if I need more drag. I've had no issues with unexpected surprise by-catch.

Dock fishing can be a bit rough on equipment, lots of obstacles and 'stuff" to bust up your gear so I consider my perch equipment expendable. Not where I'll be fishing my Stellas and Loomis rods, LOL.
                And yes I have them!
                Last edited by bignose; 04-10-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I completely over looked the other species I may encounter while perch fishing. I remember someone telling me a story about mark hooking a stingray on an ultra light rod. Maybe I will be on the safe side and just get a light action rod. Tight lines and are y'all on the water!

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                  Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I'd look at the new Nasci reel and a St Croix premier or Triumph rod.

I prefer fast to extra fast action rods with a stiffer tip.

rod and reel size will be dependent upon which baits you toss.

I would do a 6ft rod with a 2000 series reel.

Ed

Comment

I use a 6' 6" Medium Light Action Quantum Hypercast Rod & Reel, with 8lb Test Line. I bought this combo at Walmart for $40 in 2003, it's my go to rod for White Perch. You definitely don't have to spend the big bucks just for White Perch fishing, get a cheap combo and do the routine maintenance, it will last a long time. Also, the medium light action rod definitely helps out when you get the unexpected 20"+ striper, unlike the ultralight ones.

Comment

Got a great deal on an Okuma Celilo ultralight....I added a discontinued okuma reel to it.....I like it so much that last summer I targeted perch at least 50% of my trips.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

In addition to fishing the usual L and UL spinning rods, I have begun the descent down the rabbit-hole of Bait Finesse fishing.

Daiwa PX68 with some performance upgrades on a Kuying Teaton 6' UL rod. I am still training my thumb, but on 4lb mono it will throw a 1/8oz inline much further than my 6'6" UL spinning rod and will get a 1/16oz one a good ways out there too, but that is a bit beyond my skill level for now. I have caught a bunch of trout on it already and it is a blast, it has far more backbone than I expected from the thin blank. The end goal is to make up a bunch of single-hook inlines spinners using 1/8oz tungsten worm weights, like these ones from EcoPro;

I have consistently caught my best perch flinging an inline spinner way back under docks, so I want a spinner that is heavy for size. I want to make my own with a bit stouter wire (to better survive hitting pilings) and with a bit of flash tied to the hook.
                          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
                          X