Fishing report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing report

I am looking for a fishing report in the cape Charles area. I have never been fishing in that area before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably because few just fish it- too close to the Hampton Roads bridge tunnel, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and the Little Creek NAB...so many other good structures to fish- and the currents are ripping around the mouth of the Bay-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Where would you suggest?

Comment

What are your target species? I fish it frequently and I would suggest picking one or at the most two species you would like to focus on. Its easy to get distracted by the wide variety of fishing available down there. Most times....less is more when it pertains to planning your day.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I usually only flounder fish but this year I am trying to branch out. My goal for this trip would be stripers and red drum. I am trying to figure out if it is to early for red drum. I want to go early next week.

Comment

You can catch Redfish inside Lynnhaven Inlet and back inside Rudee Inlet...if you want giant red drum the 50 + fish- the eastern side on the CBBT around Lattimer Shoals and Fisherman's Island is the ticket...probably a couple of weeks early unless we get some really warm weather...cut mullet on fish finder rig is your best bet although an Eastern Shore Sandwich works, too...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

What Ron said. I caught my first bull last year down there on 5/9, but there were several caught prior to that. The water temps are closely approaching the correct temp and with this week being warmish, there may be a red or two around. I will caution you though, if you have never fished around the mouth of the bay, be careful. It is not a place to venture out alone unless you are very familiar with the tides, current, and conditions. Its a really exposed area that changes in a hurry. Many of your reds will be IN the breakers, which obviously comes with a good degree of danger. I'm not trying to scare you off, but rather give you a heads up. Good luck.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'm off next week to turkey hunt but was also gonna try to get some fishing in. This happens every year. The water just isn't warm enough for good fishing yet.

Comment

I hear the nantikote river is hot but you just can't take them out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by yakman81 View Post
                    Thanks for all the advice. I'm off next week to turkey hunt but was also gonna try to get some fishing in. This happens every year. The water just isn't warm enough for good fishing yet.

The Naticoke is pretty good this time of year. Lots of perch and catfish. Lots of 40lb Striper too, but you can't target them. If you do catch one, you're right in that it must be returned very quickly. My guess is that by next Friday, the water temps will be much warmer.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                    X