Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Question: When is it safe to fish without cold water gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question: When is it safe to fish without cold water gear?

Howdy, I'm contemplating the value of investing in some cold water gear? Basically, I'm trying to determine if return on investment (how long does it extend my fishing season) is justifiable?

Looking at the historical temperature data at Bay Bridge, looks like the water temperature does not rise above 60 until early June. I actually would like to get on the water in May.

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 12.06.48 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Seasalt; 04-07-2017, 12:09 AM.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

There is no set answer to your question. It’s based on your kayaking skill, your tolerance of risk, what species you’re after and frankly, common sense. It’s an individual choice. Even a full dry suit is not a guarantee of safety in cold water. I think the decisions you make about when and where to fish in your kayak in cold water are more important. And most critical is not putting yourself into a situation where water conditions exceed your skill level.

I fish without a dry suit all year long. I wear dry pants in the late fall, winter and early spring and layered clothing on top for warmth and of course a PFD. However, you won’t find me in big waters in high wind far from shore during those times. Nor will you find me fishing alone. If actual or forecasted weather exceeds my risk threshold I stay home. If water conditions at the launch are beyond my tolerance and skill I leave. And if conditions change for the worse while I am out, I hurry back. Frankly, I follow the same rules in warm weather.

Fortunately, there are lots of creeks and ponds nearby that allow me to wet a line throughout the cold months where I don’t face howling winds, large boat wakes or two foot seas. I work the edges and hug shorelines of these creeks and ponds. It’s not risk free, of course. But neither is kayak fishing in July. The worst experience I’ve had with conditions in my kayak happened at Ft. Smallwood in warm weather. A change in weather made it difficult for me to get safely back to the launch. It was a struggle. That would not happen to me in cold water because I would never venture as far from shore as I was that day.

So, I won’t catch the impressive stripers reported here in recent weeks in the waters I fish. But I still find satisfaction in tangling with a few bass, pickerels or panfish. I can wait for the stripers. They’ll be here soon in larger numbers (although not larger size). I’ll chase them then and be quite contented with fishing smaller waters in the meantime. We are really blessed with a variety of kayak fishing options here in central Maryland that provide year-round opportunities.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

If you add the air temp and water temp together and it's less than 110, it's dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a lot of wisdom in Marks words. Common sense and having an honest assessment of your (or your fishing partners) skill level are key.

That being said, I wear a paddle suit during the coldest months and believe firmly in it. It allows me to extend beyond some of the more protected waters. I won't even think of not wearing it if the water temps are 50 degrees or less. Once the bay bay eclipses that threshold, I start considering alternative gear on a case by case basis, usually graduating to neoprene and then just paddle pants and top. I factor in all the variables Mark sites below and decide what gear suits the situation. Water temps of 60+ and you won't find me in more than a paddle top and pants.

The combined temp rule also stated here is a good rule of thumb but can still be misleading on those extremely warm air / cold water days we sometimes get in the early spring.

I had a rude reality check in February while fishing from my kayak in Florida. I was using my own gear that I know and trust. I have spent thousands of hours in it in all sorts of conditions. My kayak is a barge and very stable and I feel very secure in it even in big water. We were fishing the flats for Reds. the water was dead calm and 3' deep. I found myself hooked into a big black drum that made a sudden run behind the boat. As I twisted around to try and fight the fish that was behind me, I suddenly found myself in the water and my gear floating everywhere.... It taught me that a turtle can happen anywhere, at any time to anybody. It was very humbling.

Turtling will never happen to the vast majority of fisherman, but we all need to stay prepared for it nonetheless. Some think the expense of proper protective gear is an extravagance. To me, it is just part of the cost of doing business - like buying the right tool needed at Home Depot. Common sense will always be your best weapon. Cold water must be taken seriously. Not doing so has cost otherwise smart people their lives and no fish is worth putting you or someone else at risk.

Sorry for the long winded / preachy answer....

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        There is no set answer to your question. It’s based on your kayaking skill, your tolerance of risk, what species you’re after and frankly, common sense. It’s an individual choice. Even a full dry suit is not a guarantee of safety in cold water. I think the decisions you make about when and where to fish in your kayak in cold water are more important. And most critical is not putting yourself into a situation where water conditions exceed your skill level.

I fish without a dry suit all year long. I wear dry pants in the late fall, winter and early spring and layered clothing on top for warmth and of course a PFD. However, you won’t find me in big waters in high wind far from shore during those times. Nor will you find me fishing alone. If actual or forecasted weather exceeds my risk threshold I stay home. If water conditions at the launch are beyond my tolerance and skill I leave. And if conditions change for the worse while I am out, I hurry back. Frankly, I follow the same rules in warm weather.

Fortunately, there are lots of creeks and ponds nearby that allow me to wet a line throughout the cold months where I don’t face howling winds, large boat wakes or two foot seas. I work the edges and hug shorelines of these creeks and ponds. It’s not risk free, of course. But neither is kayak fishing in July. The worst experience I’ve had with conditions in my kayak happened at Ft. Smallwood in warm weather. A change in weather made it difficult for me to get safely back to the launch. It was a struggle. That would not happen to me in cold water because I would never venture as far from shore as I was that day.

So, I won’t catch the impressive stripers reported here in recent weeks in the waters I fish. But I still find satisfaction in tangling with a few bass, pickerels or panfish. I can wait for the stripers. They’ll be here soon in larger numbers (although not larger size). I’ll chase them then and be quite contented with fishing smaller waters in the meantime. We are really blessed with a variety of kayak fishing options here in central Maryland that provide year-round opportunities.
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

EMSer, feelfree, and Mark all raise a lot of good points. Basically, you look at risk vs reward, whenever you go out to fish. The reward, or rather the potential for reward, is relatively constant, it's usually catching fish and/or getting out on a nice day. You don't really have that much control over that, though you have a little in the way of fishing techniques and tackle. What you can control is risk, and you can minimize it with cold weather clothing, staying close to shore, and fishing close to a friend at all times. I have a drysuit, and I've been on the water for the majority of my life, so I consider my risk, at least the portion I can control, to be relatively minimized. But even on days when I know the fishing is probably going to be decent, I look at the weather. Will a day in the 40s with 10-15 mph winds really be worth 1 or 2 small rockfish? Or would I be ok with a day in the 50s or 60s with calm winds, and 0 fish? For you and I, those answers may be very different. I'm happy to say I'm obsessed with kayak fishing, for me it combines being out on the water, exercise, and catching fish, 3 of my favorite things. However, and I know this is morbid, I do realize that if everything went wrong (winds, leaks in my kayak and drysuit, etc), I could potentially not make it back to shore. Those are things that are freak accidents, which I can't control, so I attempt to do the best I can with everything else. I used to fish in waders and a drytop, and I felt safe in them, though I do feel much safer in my drysuit. But, and it's worth noting, I got mine on sale (500 when its normally 615), and I only paid half of that (the other half was cash from Christmas gifts)....so $250 was more than worth it to me for a suit with a lifetime warranty. Mine's the hydrus 3L from kokatat, it's very breathable, and that warranty makes it a long term investment in my safety. You may already have waders, so you could just buy a 50-75$ drytop new or off ebay, and really up your safety, and along with not fishing alone, overall you'll be pretty safe. We recently saw 2 kayakers, I don't think they were on this forum, lose their lives on very warm winter days, because they simply weren't prepared with cold weather clothing, only pfd's. One was a navy seal, so he was in good shape, with cold water training I'm sure, and he was even fishing with a friend. But cold water is a total equalizer, it cancels out age, fitness, etc, and the only thing that prevents it from hurting you when you're in it, is that layer of cold weather gear. Sorry for the long post, but in the end, I would invest in cold water gear. Ebay is your friend like I said, and you can look around for sales too. I have seen many drysuits at half the price of new on Ebay, some that are brand new with tags and factory warranties, that are just used for photo shoots, or returns, etc.

Comment

+1 on Mark and +1 Bruce I truly value these guys opinions
            Turtled in 4 ft. of 75 degree water with Bruce in September and it felt almost refreshing on a hot day. Would not want to do that on a cold day I was standing up and just flip the Yak over and bounce off the bottom, back into the Yak.
            I had Bruce, Fishinggod and Leo to assist me. Gathered up all the floating stuff and off we went
            Would not want to do this in cold water.

Yak67

2017 Hobie PA-12 camo
            2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I think I've gotten more clarity in the matter through each of your responses.
              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I'll wear my drysuit into May. By the end of May the air temps are consistently in the 70's or higher and the water temps are mid 60's or better, depending on the year. If you have a high quality dry suit, you can wear it on warm days even when the water is frigid, doing so comfortably. I wear a drysuit from October thru May, so 8 months of the year....and really, those are my prime fishing months. I don't get too excited to fish the months from June through Sept because the quality of fish really drops off. My challenge is to catch a 30 incher every month but the chances drop with the summer months. So if you want to target large fish, you should really get a suit. If you're happy catching schoolies and waiting for warmer weather, you'll be fine in something water resistant.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Some good, practical answers here, and despite how frequently this question comes up, good answers are surprisingly hard to come by. It stems from the myriad of environmental factors--they're literally environmental factors--that are ignored by folks who want substitutes for common sense.

When you combine common sense and appropriate gear, you can create solutions to environmental challenges. But it's certainly a combination of those three factors...and folks tend to focus on one factor at the expense of the others. Gear won't save you from being a bonehead, and all the experience in the world won't save you from hypothermia. And none of this matters if you're fishing from shore.

My advice is to figure out exactly what you're trying to accomplish (the Bay Bridge is a big, big bridge), make sure it's within your skill level, and purchase everything necessary to do it safely. Just my two cents.
                  I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                  Garmin Echomap 93sv
                  RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
                    Some good, practical answers here, and despite how frequently this question comes up, good answers are surprisingly hard to come by. It stems from the myriad of environmental factors--they're literally environmental factors--that are ignored by folks who want substitutes for common sense.

When you combine common sense and appropriate gear, you can create solutions to environmental challenges. But it's certainly a combination of those three factors...and folks tend to focus on one factor at the expense of the others. Gear won't save you from being a bonehead, and all the experience in the world won't save you from hypothermia. And none of this matters if you're fishing from shore.

My advice is to figure out exactly what you're trying to accomplish (the Bay Bridge is a big, big bridge), make sure it's within your skill level, and purchase everything necessary to do it safely. Just my two cents.
                    I have come to the conclusion that I will see what type of fishing I enjoy this year prior to investing into a dry suit (Kokatat). You are right, safety for kayak fishing stands on a three legged stool - environment, gear and skill level. It is especially true for cold water kayak fishing.

For now, I'm planning to fish near shore. Water and air temperature needs to rise more though. For now, I'm planning on wearing a paddling jacket and paddling bib (NRS Sidewinder). I'm hoping I can fish sometime in May and possibly extend the season to end of October or early November. If I want to fish Nov and Dec, I will probably get a dry suit. Also, I'm planning to practice re-entry with the paddling jacket and bib during warmer months.

Yak Fish, enjoyed reading your book. Thanks for your advice on the dry suit. I can't imagine getting a sleigh ride from a cow...
                    Last edited by Seasalt; 04-07-2017, 07:13 PM.
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I am an old guy and don't go out until the water temp and air temp is at least 60*. That takes into account my skill level (high), physical condition (better than most 65 year olds) and probability of being in the water less than an hour due to the locations I fish and safety gear I have.

While I can self rescue, you never know when murphy will strike. I would like to see at least 80.
                      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

There may be some misconceptions, hypothermia can occur in warmer water as well- even 60s to 70's & it depends on conditions, how long you are at that temp & how long before you get dry & warm. Some have suggested a magic temp of 110 or 60 & 60 (water & air temps). I've even heard a combined temp of 160, 80 & 80 to be really safe. I'd like to point out that at 60 & 60 you can becomes exhausted in 1 hour to even death in that same time period. Truly, to be safe with no drysuit, temps would need to be at least 70 & you'd have a resonable chance of survival in the water or cold for a couple of hours. You get wet & right your yak & paddle for 2 hours, your temps are still dropping. That all said, I have a very stable PA14, that I've not managed to flip or swamp, & kayak a short distance from where I put in, I'm usually in shallow water & never far from shore, I'd kayak without survival gear this time of year and water temps are below 60.
                        Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                        Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                          so $250 was more than worth it to me for a suit with a lifetime warranty. Mine's the hydrus 3L from kokatat, it's very breathable, and that warranty makes it a long term investment in my safety. .
                          Kokatek and Stohlquist are top of the line and top of the tier pricing for dry suits. They are excellent quality and I have nothing to say bad about them. Coming from 60+ years of surfing, diving, buying, using wetsuits and drysuits dealing with warranties for both let me state there is no true lifetime warranty with these products. If one reads the warranty it will state in some manner against manufacturers defect and workmanship for a reasonable life of the product and repair or replacement is at their option. It will not cover repairs they deem due to normal wear and tear through use or rips and tears through accident. Those they will have a charge for. The neoprene or latex gaskets are considered consumable items and are not covered. So unless one keeps that drysuit hanging in a vacuum packed container be aware that it may not be covered as well as one thinks.

Now with that said I have learned over the years that if I want to enjoy the sport I am dealing with then I need to spend the money to obtain the gear to do that to keep me warm and safe through out the times of year that I want to participate in them. Cold water is nothing to fool with so I am an advocate of using the proper attire for the temperatures one wants to be out in.

Comment

Originally posted by Lure 11.5 View Post
                            If you add the air temp and water temp together and it's less than 110, it's dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            That's a great rule of thumb. I was going to give my long answer that would've said the exact same thing, just not as to the point.

My personal preference is to wear shorts or a bathing suit. As long as I wear a fleece up top and a hat, I'm fine. But the 110 rule is good. I'm not too concerned about water temp if the air is above 60. I fell in the mid bay in open water this year in Mid-March when the water was 45 degrees. I climbed back into the kayak and kept fishing for another hour because the air temp was hovering around 60.

I personally don't wear a PFD. I know some on here might strongly disagree but I find them cumbersome. I'm a good swimmer and in decent shape so I can get myself back in the boat if I fall out. I also don't go more than a mile and a half off shore because I know worse comes to worse I can swim that far. In a few years, I'll succumb and get one.
                            Native Titan Propel 12
                            Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
                            Mercury 6hp
                            Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Actually, the pic I use for my avatar was about 45 min after I fell in that day in March. I was rewarded with a nice 28" striper!
                              Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                              Mercury 6hp
                              Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Working...
                              X