Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Question: When is it safe to fish without cold water gear?

I am an old guy and don't go out until the water temp and air temp is at least 60*. That takes into account my skill level (high), physical condition (better than most 65 year olds) and probability of being in the water less than an hour due to the locations I fish and safety gear I have.

While I can self rescue, you never know when murphy will strike. I would like to see at least 80.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 40 backup power

There may be some misconceptions, hypothermia can occur in warmer water as well- even 60s to 70's & it depends on conditions, how long you are at that temp & how long before you get dry & warm. Some have suggested a magic temp of 110 or 60 & 60 (water & air temps). I've even heard a combined temp of 160, 80 & 80 to be really safe. I'd like to point out that at 60 & 60 you can becomes exhausted in 1 hour to even death in that same time period. Truly, to be safe with no drysuit, temps would need to be at least 70 & you'd have a resonable chance of survival in the water or cold for a couple of hours. You get wet & right your yak & paddle for 2 hours, your temps are still dropping. That all said, I have a very stable PA14, that I've not managed to flip or swamp, & kayak a short distance from where I put in, I'm usually in shallow water & never far from shore, I'd kayak without survival gear this time of year and water temps are below 60.
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    so $250 was more than worth it to me for a suit with a lifetime warranty. Mine's the hydrus 3L from kokatat, it's very breathable, and that warranty makes it a long term investment in my safety. .
    Kokatek and Stohlquist are top of the line and top of the tier pricing for dry suits. They are excellent quality and I have nothing to say bad about them. Coming from 60+ years of surfing, diving, buying, using wetsuits and drysuits dealing with warranties for both let me state there is no true lifetime warranty with these products. If one reads the warranty it will state in some manner against manufacturers defect and workmanship for a reasonable life of the product and repair or replacement is at their option. It will not cover repairs they deem due to normal wear and tear through use or rips and tears through accident. Those they will have a charge for. The neoprene or latex gaskets are considered consumable items and are not covered. So unless one keeps that drysuit hanging in a vacuum packed container be aware that it may not be covered as well as one thinks.

Now with that said I have learned over the years that if I want to enjoy the sport I am dealing with then I need to spend the money to obtain the gear to do that to keep me warm and safe through out the times of year that I want to participate in them. Cold water is nothing to fool with so I am an advocate of using the proper attire for the temperatures one wants to be out in.
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yachts transom mount
    Minn Kota 45 Riptide
    Gama Electronics RF340-80A-SC wireless controller
    Re-Lion 75Ah Lithium Iron Deep Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Lure 11.5 View Post
    If you add the air temp and water temp together and it's less than 110, it's dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a great rule of thumb. I was going to give my long answer that would've said the exact same thing, just not as to the point.

My personal preference is to wear shorts or a bathing suit. As long as I wear a fleece up top and a hat, I'm fine. But the 110 rule is good. I'm not too concerned about water temp if the air is above 60. I fell in the mid bay in open water this year in Mid-March when the water was 45 degrees. I climbed back into the kayak and kept fishing for another hour because the air temp was hovering around 60.

I personally don't wear a PFD. I know some on here might strongly disagree but I find them cumbersome. I'm a good swimmer and in decent shape so I can get myself back in the boat if I fall out. I also don't go more than a mile and a half off shore because I know worse comes to worse I can swim that far. In a few years, I'll succumb and get one.
    Trident Ultra 4.3
    Pompano 120
    Garmin Striker 4dv

Actually, the pic I use for my avatar was about 45 min after I fell in that day in March. I was rewarded with a nice 28" striper!
    Trident Ultra 4.3
    Pompano 120
    Garmin Striker 4dv

Quote Originally Posted by hookmeup View Post
    Everyone needs a life jacket no matter what. So many scenarios. However I would bet on a young fit healthy man without a lifevest quickly getting back in his kayak rather than an obese man who is unfit in a lifevest trying to get back into and over stocked kayak. I have been doing this for 17 years. 2 rods and One Plano box of tackle. One paddle and a cell phone. A knife and a small emergency kit tucked away. If you can't get it done with that then you most likely are not getting it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the appropriate dry gear and wear a vest. My only comment is practice makes perfect. I practice flipping an empty kayak in semi cold water in full gear, in 4-6 ft of water yearly. I also practice flipping in warm water with appropriate attire for that time of year. As an old guy, I can tell you re-entry is a whole lot harder in full dry gear in semi cold (45-55 degree water) then in a t-shirt and swim trunks in 65-75 degree water. So back to the beginning, Practice makes perfect. You may never turtle, but at least you will know the routine for re-entry.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

[QUOTE=jbrown;142143]Everyone needs a life jacket no matter what. So many scenarios. However I would bet on a young fit healthy man without a lifevest quickly getting back in his kayak rather than an obese man who is unfit in a lifevest trying to get back into and over stocked kayak. I have been doing this for 17 years. 2 rods and One Plano box of tackle. One paddle and a cell phone. A knife and a small emergency kit tucked away. If you can't get it done with that then you most likely are not getting it done.

You can get it done with a lot less...one rod and a bag of swimbaits...but I carry three or four rods with me completely rigged with the different lures I plan on using- fish can be finicky, so what they ate yesterday may not be what they eat today...and the only reason I kayak at all is to fish...so I carry more than is necessary every trip- but a lot less than I used to...when I first started kayak fishing I had the full monte...and the kitchen sink...I wear what is appropriate for the conditions...and I am an older kayaker- turned 71 this year...turtled once in six years...lost some gear and taught me a real lesson...the second you lose center of gravity the flip is instantaneous- there is NO warning it is going to happen- one second you are upright; the next you are underwater...and I am a very good swimmer- love the water- back in the day I was scuba qualified...so being under water still inside my Outback was not a panic attack for me- I untangled myself from the rods and lines and swam to the surface- I did not inflate my PFD, because I did not need it inflated- I was very pissed I had made such a basic neophyte mistake of lunging and leaning over trying to grab a redfish barely hooked- a really stupid mistake...but we all do really stupid things that gets us in trouble- no matter how old- no matter how much experience...all great information on here- but humans rarely learn from others...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-09-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13