I now know how it feels to be a fish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I now know how it feels to be a fish!

I went out yesterday to troll a bit. The weather app said the wind was supposed to blow over 15mph all week, but yesterday was nice and calm. So I rushed out from work and got on the water around 3pm. What happens when you rush? You forget stuff. What did I forget? My needle nosed.

After a slow start I hit a few respectable sized fish with the largest being 25". Then I hit a 22" that felt really strange and angry on the line. Turns out he hit the X Rap and wrapped the line around his head. He spun in circles the entire way in. Once I got him untangled, I saw he was hooked in a few places. My buddy fishing next to me called out, "How big?". This distracted me. The fish gave a pop and a jerk and back in the water he went. My pole went the other way into the water. Oh no! But wait, I still was attached to my pole! How could this be? I felt a searing pain in my finger. To my dismay, the treble hook was completely imbedded in my finger. What's worse, I had missed one barb when I filed the hooks down. You guessed it. The one in my finger. I turned to my friend and said, "Oh %^&*, dude. It's bad!" He asked if I wanted to go get it cut out at the ER or if he wanted him to take my 6" buck knife that I keep on the boat and cut the hook out. I told him to let me work on it for a second. I squeezed the finger as tight as I could and pushed the hook down and it miraculously came out...followed by a lot of blood. My buddy almost fainted and nearly fell out of his kayak. I wasn't feeling much better. I sat there for about 5 minutes feeling woozy and applying pressure until the bleeding eventually stopped. What would a smart man do? Go home and clean it up. What did I do? Kept fishing!

Two weeks ago I fell in 45 degree water fully dressed, got out and kept fishing. My lure got stuck on my transducer arm in the front of the yak and I lost my balance going to get it.

So I'm nominating myself for the coveted combination award: Stupidest/Most Hardcore Fisherman.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger....
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I'm glad you're ok in both occurances here!!

Last sunday I flipped my yak in the Patapsco River out front of Ft. Smallwood in the Brewerton Channel. My PFD and Cody (Basstech) saved my life. The coast guard was able to recover the yak and Cody was able to get me to shore and get me the medical attention I needed! I fell in 52-53 degree water. I CANNOT imagine 45!!! You're lucky my friend!
      Zach Bennett
      Linthicum MD
      2014 Hobie Outback
      Instagram: YakinZak
      Youtube: YakinZak
      Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinzak View Post
        I'm glad you're ok in both occurances here!!

Last sunday I flipped my yak in the Patapsco River out front of Ft. Smallwood in the Brewerton Channel. My PFD and Cody (Basstech) saved my life. The coast guard was able to recover the yak and Cody was able to get me to shore and get me the medical attention I needed! I fell in 52-53 degree water. I CANNOT imagine 45!!! You're lucky my friend!
        Were you wearing a dry suit?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

The old adage... keep your head in the centerline of the boat...where the head goes, the body follows...while we have more stable kayaks now than we ever have had...they all can turtle under the right circumstances...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
          X