Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Report: Fletcher's 4/5

Got the 2017 shad run started today.
    I did O.K. but it will get better if we don't get too much rain in the next week.
    I caught "enough" fish over a two hour period to make fighting the D.C. traffic worthwhile. The traffic light coming out of Fletcher's makes life much easier and much less aggravating/terrifying if trying to return to the Capital Beltway-west bound.

Today's conditions and equipment:
    The river level on the USGS gauge was just under 5.0 at Little Falls Dam. The boathouse was not renting boats because of this. If we get a lot of rain, it will get a bit dicey. The trails were very muddy.
    The water was pretty dingy with 8-12 inches of visibility. I fished from 10:30-12:30 at dead low tide. At 12:15 the current started reversing, it is always strange to watch things floating back upstream contrary to the wind and usual current flow direction.
    I fished a bit upstream from the Boathouse.

I used a double dart rig: 1/4 oz. and 1/16 oz. both darts in Green Chartreuse with crystal flash tails.
    Honestly, this early in the season, with cloudy water, I don't think color matters as much as just getting the lures down with a slow drift and hitting the critters in the face.

Nicely done... any Americans caught?
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I didn't catch any American Shad today. All Hickories, both Hen and Buck Shad. Some of the females were quite large, absolutely packed for the spawn.

Comment

Working...
      X