Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing upper Potomac river question.

Just following up with this, did your buddy ever get out because Iím not sure I heard from him. I spent all last summer on house projects and plan to fish more this year.
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Quote Originally Posted by gkreps View Post
    Drew,
    Hit Rob or I up and we will show you how to float that area. nothing to be worried about unless the river is up. Most of the time during the summer you can wade that stretch very easily.
    Can I come in my flat bottom? Lol.

koPHP7R.jpg

I miss this place. Can't wait for Spring and Summer to arrive. Something like 26 days until March 11th, when time changes!

We did the upper Potomac float M&G trip last year with Rich.

Fairly shallow water & pedal drive created some challenges.

Do you guys mostly anchor up, or use a stakeout pole? I've also heard of the drift chute, is that a popular method? Even with pedal drive tucking up tight downstream of a large boulder was challenging to keep staionary. Float & Cast seemed to be the preferred method?
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

Quote Originally Posted by mchottie View Post
    Do you guys mostly anchor up, or use a stakeout pole? I've also heard of the drift chute, is that a popular method? Even with pedal drive tucking up tight downstream of a large boulder was challenging to keep staionary. Float & Cast seemed to be the preferred method?
    I usually don't use an anchor, but this year I will start bringing one. I find that stake out poles don't work so well for me in faster current, rocky bottoms, or deeper water. My anchor is one of those plastic coated small exercise dumb bells with paracord tied to it. I run the rope through the front carry handle and use an anchor cleat to secure it.

For the most part I paddle around, drift, and park my kayak on shore or on rocks/ledges. I like to periodically get out and stretch my legs and fish. My trips on the Potomac are almost always single point. I will launch, paddle up river, fish along the way and drift back to the start. Alternatively, I will launch, drift down river, carry over to the C & O Canal, and paddle back up to my car.

Hah, I love fishing in the canal on foot and keep wanting to drag my kayak out there. I also really want to hit Widewater in my yak this year, but don't want to go alone as having two people to help get the kayaks and out of the water would be a hugely helpful there. I think it would be almost mandatory to make it a weekday trip, as dodging lures on the weekend will take some of the fun out of it.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Quote Originally Posted by bunnielab View Post
    Hah, I love fishing in the canal on foot and keep wanting to drag my kayak out there. I also really want to hit Widewater in my yak this year, but don't want to go alone as having two people to help get the kayaks and out of the water would be a hugely helpful there. I think it would be almost mandatory to make it a weekday trip, as dodging lures on the weekend will take some of the fun out of it.
    Similarly, two people with vehicles makes it easy to park one downstream, drive upstream to put in, float down, then take the parked vehicle back north.
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

I usually do not anchor either, but Greg and I both use a front mounted 5# dumbbell like you can just drop to stop and fish a hole. Greg stop and fish's it, and refishes it and then fishes it again. It works best for jigging with pull it toward you. At Rapids I just float through a chute and hook paddle into the eddy to jig the chutes. Sometime minimal paddling it required to hang in the eddies.

Greg and I both have Kayak trailer and I can hold up to 6 kayak on my trailer, but 6 guys in my truck could be done, but might be a bit tight. I got the F150 suercab not the 4 doors, but its only shuttling between ramps.

Tom give me a shout if your heading out of weekends. I still have your cell phone in my phone of you have the same number.

DJones, you buy those kayaks? I could get your boat on my trailer on top, maybe.
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Hi Rob,
    That would be cool. Yes, I still have your number in my phone contacts as well.
    I'm looking forward to many trips this year on the Potomac. Due to family responsibilities, most of my trips will be quick morning trips for a few hours and I'll be wrapped up by noon.
    Looking forward to catching many Potomac smallies in 2018.
    Tom

For you guys who run the anchor line through the front handle, do you find it hard/impossible to free it if it snags, or do you just cut the line? Even with the anchor right next to me I sometimes have trouble un-snagging mine, I feel like having it run through the handle seems like it would make it harder.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10